ESET Smart Security 5 + Windows 7 Homegroup

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Jastreb, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jastreb

Jastreb Registered Member

Hello,

I'm having problem with connecting my homegroup computers. I have two computers, desktop and laptop connected via wireless router. Addresses of computers are 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101. On both computers ESS 5 is installed and filtering mode is set to "automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules)". In "Zone and rule editor" subnet 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 is added to "trusted zone" and "addresses excluded from active protection (IDS)". On both computers I'm receiving notification "port scanning attack" from address of other computer. I'm getting bored with this.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The issue with HomeGroup on Win7 is being investigated. As a workaround, you can add the TZ subnet to the list of addresses excluded from active protection (IDS) in the Zone setup.

Also please do the following:
    1, enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup
    2, start capturing network communication with Wireshark
    3, reproduce the problem
    4, stop the capturing and disable logging
    5, create a package (archive) containg the following stuff:
    - Wireshark log
    - exported firewall log to a text file
    - ESS configuration

When done, let me know so that I can provide you with further instructions.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Homegroups are not something that work well with 3rd party firewalls. I know that there are other products having the same issue. I had a link to Microsoft.com that mentioned issues with 3rd party firewalls but I can't find it at the moment. I will post it if I find it.

4. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

FYI: Desktop and laptop. Win7 Pro 64 on both. I have the homegroup IP address set in ESET Trusted Zone. I find there are times when I boot the desktop, homegroup is not connected. If I disable the ESET firewall and re-enable it, then homegroup is connected. Doesn't happen all the time.

5. Weyrman

Weyrman Registered Member

Homegroup works using ip6 and I notice that the trusted networks that I have are all ip4 only.

6. falisty

falisty Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.