ESET Smart Security 4 License/Users

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by infowarior, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infowarior

infowarior Registered Member

Hello,

I am currently using a trial version of ESET Smart Security on my Vista computer. I was pretty satisfied so I was going to order the software, and I had a couple of questions.

1. When I order from a vendor, such as this link, am I actually receiving the CD of the software, or just the license? If I am actually receiving a CD, wouldn't this be a better deal than ordering right from ESET, as I have to pay an extra $10 to get a backup CD?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024LXEA6...KIKX0DER&tag=msnshop-software-20&linkCode=asn

2. Do I need to order the 3 user version just to put it on 3 PCs? This was confusing to me, as many software programs say 1 user/up to x number of PCs. For instance, I have an XP system that I need to put it on, my current Vista computer, and tomorrow, I will be setting up a dual boot with Windows 7 RC. Do I need a 1, 2, or 3 user version to cover them?

Thanks a lot!

2. MathewG

MathewG Former ESET Support Rep

Ordering from the ESET website gives you the option to purchase a back-up CD along with your license. The back-up CD is usefull because it alows you to install the program without downloading it from the web site. The back-up CD is a convenience for you but not required. You can always use the ESET web site to download and install instead.

A "user" is defined as computer. For example, a three user license is a license that can be installed on three seperate computers, using the same username and password. You will need a three user license to protect all your computers.

3. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

That Amazon webpage says nothing about receiving a Username and Password by email, something that you will definitely need to get your virus database updates. I couldn't find any details on what build it is either. The $89.99 price seems to be a deal. The CD back up (which is a total waste anyways) is free compared to the $89.00 + $10.00 CD back up price direct from ESET.

You might want to consider buying it directly from ESET but without the CD back up. At least you'll be assured that you will definitely get a new Username and Password emailed to you and you will get the lastest build.

I say the CD back up is a waste because currently the ESS Program Components and builds are not updated automatically when they become available. Just the virus database and an occasional module are the only things that can be updated automatically. The lastest Program Components and builds have to be downloaded and installed manually when they become available.

4. infowarior

Thanks guys,

Wouldn't the username and password be included in the package from Amazon? I might Just go with ESET's website...easier and safer I guess.

I have to say that is a little bit expensive for IS software...I can get a 3PC version of Norton IS 2009 for $60 on their website, and even for $30 from a reseller.

Thanks!

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I just went to the Symantec site. Norton 360 is currently going for $79.99 for 3 PC license (can't buy it any other way). 2 weeks ago it was $89.99. $30.00 from a reseller = OEM and more than likely a 1 user key.

Symantec must be getting desperate.

I'm still never going back to Norton. They left too much of a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers to this day. If that isn't enough I can't use any of Norton's (Symantec's) newer products without unstalling Norton SystemWorks 2003 first. Not gonna happen.

6. infowarior

I was talking about Norton Internet Security 2009, NOT Norton 360. Yes it is a retail version. Here is the link to a couple of them.

http://www.royaldiscount.com/noinse20rebo1.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/norton-internet-security-2009-3-user/q/loc/105/208809768.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but every NIS I've ever owned (quite a few) was for 1 household/3 PCs. I believe that's just standard for Norton...I don't think you can get your hands on a 1 PC version. You can buy multi user packs of 5 user and 10 users, costing $110, and $200 respectively.

Thanks!
    infowarior

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Folks,

As this is an Eset Support Forum, let's take off topic discussions\comments concerning other AV's and their respective practices to our other anti-virus software forum Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

8. infowarior

Wasn't trying to bring other AV topics in...just commenting that ESET's price seems a little steep...a suggestion...something they might want to think about lowering a bit.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.