Eset smart security 4 firewall problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mitsos1s, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsos1s

mitsos1s Registered Member

Hi. I am new here, and i found this forum really helping. I used to have eset smart security 3.0.672 and then updated to 4.0.424 Everything worked out great. However after installing Vista SP2, i had the known problem with red icon. I fixed that, but i realized i had really slow latency times. I found out that eset firewall was responsible. So i uninstalled eset smart security, and tried to install it again from the beginning. But after installing (i used the official from eset servers install pack), eset tries to configure the firewall and it makes me choose protection mode. After i chose it says error, failed to set or something. After i restart the pc, the firewall is running but my internet connection doesn't work. Specifically i found out that there is a problem with the dns server. Because if i type an ip address directly, i can access it, but it can't resolve hostnames. Only if i go to advanced settings and disable eset firewall system integration completely, does my connection come back and everything(including latency) is normal. Also at eset log this entry appears...
    but i haven't got any proxy server.... Can somebody please help me, because it's really frustrating. Thank you
    Oh i forgot to metion that when i was searching to find a solution for my high latency i tried some netsh commands i found but they didn't have an effect. Maybe it's because of this?

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Why not install it with firewall set to automatic. If you get that failed error, is it when you have to choose your firewall setting like strict or sharing, choose sharing. Then reboot. I do not like SP2 period.

3. mitsos1s

automatic mode, gives the same error. And i do choose sharing, not strict. Unfortunately it isn't this.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then you have a problem. Not trying to be funny but most dont. Sooooo, since you had version 3 and installed over it, I would do the simple thing. Uninstall all, do something like Ccleaner then reinstall. I am not trying to sound stupid, but sometimes you have to clean the crap before you can clean the floor. Try it and see.

5. mitsos1s

i habe already done that, and used ccleaner,,, but the same thing. I also noticed a strange thing. I tried to enable test mode in update to see if it solves anything. It downloaded firewall module 1047. Unfortunately it didn't do anything. So i disabled it. And when i updated again my firewall module was 1040. ...

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then Eset support is your only hope. I do feel for you and hope the answer is discovered soon.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

if the message was failed to read firewall..mine was resolved by rebooting after it updated itself, it seemed ok then, i take it you tried this?

8. mitsos1s

:) :) :) I think my psu will burnout from the multiple restarts....

9. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

Did you have firewall set in interactive, automatic or policy-based mode when installing SP and after?

Edit: Sorry for removing a part of your post, instead of quoting your post I edited it in error :( Marcos

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  10. mitsos1s

I have also written to Eset Online Customer Service, but i'm still waiting for a reply. I will inform you once i get one.

11. mitsos1s

Unfortunately eset support wasn't very helpful, since they said i should restart after installing and it should be ok. Like i didn't try a restart, .......:cautious: :cautious:
    I also tried uninstalling it again, running ccleaner and other registry cleaners. And i tried manually searching for registry keys from eset. To my surprise i found several of them still being there. Some also had a version note 3.0.672 which means that weren't uninstalled correctly when i had eset smarty security 3. After a painfull procedure, because they had permission restrictions, and i had to edit the permissions one by one :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: , i finally deleted them all. I restarted, installed again, and this time when it installed and asked me to choose protection mode, it didn't throw an error like the other times. So i think it's finally ok. I restart and i see that it's not ok, but exactly the same thing as before. No DNS and blocking network. I think i 've had enough of this. I will just install version 3 and end my problems. Bad work from eset this time.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just a tip, I've always had positive results on machines with such installation failures by using Revo uninstaller to completely remove everything, quick reboot then install again.

13. mitsos1s

Even tried that. Had no luck though.... I am pretty sure it has something to do with the error in the event log of eset.

14. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

LOL sounds very familar to my problem on one machine. In the end I gave up and went back to version three.

We need that proper uninstaller as a free download when the badly written uninstallers don't work. Amazing how many companies leave there junk all over the registry don't they know what registry keys they've installedo_O

15. ramremo

ramremo Registered Member

Can I suggest you something? , use TuneUp Utilities ( if you didn't use it) and its utility called '1-Click Maintenance' it's an excellent tool for removing invalid registry keys for the uninstalled programs -- it might do the perfect job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.