ESET Smart Security 4.0.437.0 Cannot Communicate with DNS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by thegreatoutlaw, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegreatoutlaw

thegreatoutlaw Registered Member

Been using NOD32 for years I love it. I like having a software firewall installed as well, so I decided to get Smart Security. Only issue that I found was when I right click on my network adapter to diagnose a problem it tells me that "Cannot communicate with DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Is this something simple to fix?

Another problem I was having with Smart Security was "high pings" while playing games online like Left 4 Dead, got rid of Smart Security, high pings and this dns communication problem went away. But I'd like to use Smart Security if possible, any fixes?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What operating system and service pack do you have installed?

3. thegreatoutlaw

I'm running Windows Vista Business 32-bit Service Pack 2

4. Marcos

Does disabling HTTP checking make a difference? (Setup -> AV/AS -> Web access protection -> HTTP, HTTPS -> untick "Enable HTTP checking")

5. thegreatoutlaw

I'll reinstall asap and try this out, thank you for responding :D ill reply back shortly.

6. Marcos

Also a log from SysInspector would be appreciated so that I can see what applications you have installed. Let me know when you have it ready and I'll PM you further instructions.

7. thegreatoutlaw

I tried turning that setting off and did a diagnose, still have the problem with "communicating with dns server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

8. thegreatoutlaw

Okay, i checked the firewall log, and from doing the diagnose, the log shows

9/22/2009 12:22:44 PM Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet 192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my dns) ICMP

9. thegreatoutlaw

Apparently if I uncheck "ICMP Protocol Attack Detection" and run a diagnose on my network adapter it has no error now.

10. thegreatoutlaw

Is it okay to leave this setting off?

11. Marcos

You can enable test mode in the update setup, update the program and add the IP address 192.168.1.101 to "Addresses excluded from active protection (IDS)" in the Zone settings.

12. thegreatoutlaw

Where exactly do I enable "Test mode" and what does it do? Is this way a more secure way of fixing the problem instead of what i did?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.