ESET Smart Security 3: nothing but problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by PieterVSTA, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PieterVSTA

    PieterVSTA Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Posts:
    6
    We bought 30 license of ESET Smart security 3 but my conclusion now is that product is unusable in an office environment.

    - It does not work with Microsoft CRM. The CRM web pages are blocked on Vista (even with the firewall disabled); the CRM contacts in Outlook are inaccessible on WinXP. Only uninstalling ESET SS solves this problem.
    - Several programs don’t get through the firewall with the default settings (the label printing software Seagull BarTender for example). These programs work fine with the Windows firewall. So it's an ESET problem. The fact that the firewall can't be disabled makes the problem even worse.
    And no, switching to "Interactive mode" is not an option, I can't bother the users with pop-ups they don't understand. Seagull BarTender only works in interactive mode with a rule 'allow all traffic' but then you don't have any firewall at all (because the windows firewall is disabled).
    - I always get an error message when I start the configuration editor. I can't edit any configuration any more. I did send several mails to the (local) ESET support but got no response after a week (except for "we received the mail and are looking into this").
    - When I was still able to edit and update configurations, I always got an error message "Task processing error, error code: (1012,2)". After several mails to support (starting 2 weeks ago), I still have no idea what that means.

    My conclusion: don't buy this software.
     
  2. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,374
    No problems here, we've been using it without a single problem on WinXP. Just tried it on Vista and it worked like a charm too. Do you know if the problem occurs with ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed?

    The solution is to switch to the policy-based (administrator) mode, create the appropriate rules and enable the following pre-defined rules:
    1, block all unknown inbound traffic
    2, allow all outbound traffic

    With these rules, the firewall will work like in the automatic mode while using all the other rules you have created.

    Does reinstallation of ERA make a difference? What version of the Config. Editor do you use? (Help->About)

    The error means that the execution of the task failed on the workstation for some reason. Are you able to run the task manually on the local computer? If it works, try pushing it again via ERA.
     
  3. ronjor

    ronjor Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2003
    Posts:
    57,740
    Location:
    Texas
    One off topic post removed.
     
  4. PieterVSTA

    PieterVSTA Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Posts:
    6
    We only have the ESET SS software, not the NOD32 version. Are you using version ESET SS 3.0.642?
    The problem on XP is minor: Outlook crashes if you start a new E-mail, press the TO button and select the "CRM-contacts" address book (we have Dutch software, the exact names in English might differ). Everything else works fine. We use CRM 3.0.5300.0.
    On Vista, none of the web pages show up with ESET SS installed. Uninstall and it works again.

    One of the problem programs uses a broadcast to find the server. The server then responds back to the workstation. This response is "unknown inbound traffic". ESET SS blocks this, the Windows Firewall does not.
    I tried these rules:
    1, allow inbound traffic from the trusted zone
    2, allow all outbound traffic
    This seems to work. How do I set up the "block all unknown inbound traffic" rule?

    The other program is a FTP tool. I can't get this to work yet.


    No, uninstall and reinstall did not help. But the problem is gone now. I did a view of a configuration of a workstation. The editor then opened without an error for the fist time. And afterwards, it's fine again. The error was: "An invalid argument was encountered.". It looks as if there was something wrong with the file loaded by default in the editor. But I could not find that default file.

    I get this error each time I upload the configuration file to the users. And also if I load the config file directly on a workstation. If I only knew where exactly the error occurs.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.