ESET Server component/Remote Admin over WEB

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by argint, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argint

argint Registered Member

Hi All,

I would like to ask, can ESET remote administration work over the WEB? Ie does it have to be over a LAN? We are considering hosting a server at a data centre and to install manage ESET from that server. For all our roaming laptops, ideally we could have them connect home to this server simply with an internat connection. In this way we could get them to update settings etc, and return reports.

This is like how McAfee Total Protection Service works, it doesnt require LAN access. OR, is the only way to get this to work to have VPN for ach laptop to the hosted server for the ESET server component to function correctly?

Regards

2. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

It works fine across the Internet. You can specify a password for communications too. We've had this in place for several years.

Just don't provide an update server on the Internet which just anyone can update from. Point the clients to update directly from eSet, which is the default. While you can password protect the mirror server, all posts I've seen in this forum indicate eSet doesn't want you providing an Internet faced mirror.

3. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

Having a secure Internet-available update server was a requirement of mine when I originally spoke with ESET; and they've never led me to think it's a bad idea -- as long as it requires authentication.

I've been running a web-facing update server for about a year now using a secured IIS site. Works like a charm, especially considering the HTTP Server built into the RAS always puked for no reason for me.

You could use just about any decent web server to host the updates if you don't trust IIS. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.