ESET Security & Vista Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BigCat400, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigCat400

BigCat400 Registered Member

I am using ESET security now and noticed it did not disable vista's firewall. What's the recommended setup? Should I disable vista's firewall completely? Is there something in vista's firewall that eset's can't do? Should I leave it on?

2. nagnamis29

nagnamis29 Registered Member

yes there are, ESET blocks applications automatically, while vista is not, i prefer you to choose ur vista firewall, beacuse there have many problems in ESET firewall that eset can't resolve as of for not, i am having difficulty in using eset firewall.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is true ESS doesn't fully disable Vista's built-in firewall but as far as I know it makes some changes to its rules .
    I have my WF disabled when ESS is ON (just in case to prevent conflicts).
    But I haven't noticed any problems if both are ON the way ESET leaves Windows Firewall.

4. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I have to disagree, acording to my Security Center, ESS has disabled the Windows Vista Firewall and not just made changes, it is all the way OFF. (check the pic.)

Attached Files:

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it disabled my windows firewall on install.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Very strange . Mine wasn't disabled . Windows Security Center reported both ON . Windows Firewall itself reported that it is active but with settings changed (something like that) . I asked my local support and they confirmed . I can only say it is strange .

Thanks for telling me . Now I will at least know it is not happening everywhere.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i think it's a vista problem, not an eset one, for example comodo never disabled my firewall, yet it is meant to, it disabled my brothers, but not mine, maybe one of vista's (many) little quirks?

8. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

So... Officially and normally, ESET SS suite will *not* disable Vista's own firewall...?

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It should disable it (as you can see from some replies) but under some curcumstances it might not fully disable it . I have asked the Support for further investigation . As I have written:

I didn't notice any problems with both ON . I must note that Security Center reported that Vista's firewall settings have been changed or something like that

10. pip22

pip22 Registered Member

Since every PC is different (different drivers & software) it's not unusual for ESS to behave differently as regards the built-in firewall during setup. Since the built-in one does not rely on third-party drivers & is only a "one way" firewall, it's also unlikely to cause any conflicts if left enabled, but doing so is pointless since it's wasting resources uneccesarily.

So if ESS doesn't disable it, do it manually. Members who say "it doesn't matter" do have a point, but it is a waste of resources all the same.

11. loyukfai

I have one question... ESS's firewall seems to distinguish networks (e.g. public, private...) based on subnet and netmask only. (?)

Now, if a public network uses the same subnet (say 192.168.1.x) and netmask as my home network's. Will ESS *think* the PC is connected to a private network?

Or is ESS using information (e.g. SSID for WLAN; MAC for LAN...) as well?

12. loyukfai

Hi anybody...?

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Since it was some time , you could write ESET Support an email or give them a call
    www.eset.com/support

14. loyukfai

Did it on Sunday. Still waiting for a reply through.

15. loyukfai

Concidence... Just received a reply.

And yes, "The ESET Smart Security Personal Firewall only looks at subnet and netmask for distinguishing networks."

Hopefully they'll improve it soon, because it would be bothersome in some cases and there should be other information which can be used in distinguishing networks as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.