Eset plugin not compatible

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by beejay1947, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beejay1947

beejay1947 Registered Member

I use Thunderbird as my email client and it was updated yesterday to v3.1.2. Previously it had the add-on called "Eset plugin 1.0" but that is now shown as incompatible with v3.1.2.

Is there a new add-on from Eset which is compatible with v3.1.2? If so, how do I uninstall the old plugin and install the new one?

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

You must install ESET 4.2.64.12 to get the compatible plugin for Thunderbird 3.1.x.

3. beejay1947

I currently have v4.0.437.0. I assumed that my subscription would include automatic updates to later versions.

If not, how do I update without paying extra?

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Just download it from download.eset.com, it's free to upgrade.

5. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Software builds do not update automatically, definitions update automatically each day.

You can upgrade for free from http://www.eset.com/download

6. beejay1947

ESET 4.2.64.12 has now been downloaded and installed. Plugin for Thunderbird has also been "plugged in". Thanks.

Am slightly disappointed that my purchase of ESET software does not update itself automatically. At the very least, I would have thought that users who had purchased ESET software would be advised when software build updates were available rather than be left uninformed (and not fully covered?).

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

The important bits (virus scanning, trojan detection etc) *are* automatically updated - that's the virus sigs that get downloaded every couple of hours.

The program itself doesn't get updated automatically (ok, 3.0.684 was upgraded to 3.0.695, but I think that was an exception.

Windows updates security patches through Windows Update, but it doesn't automatically update you from Windows XP to Windows Vista or Windows seven, does it? It's the same principle here - the important, security bits are updated, but new functionality must be installed manually. It's up to you to find out when new releases are available, just the same as Microsoft won't personally tell you when the next version of Office is released.

This forum is a great place to find out about new releases as Marcos is always good at putting a sticky at the top of this list of posts.

Jim

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET actually releases program component updates (PCU) at the moment a particular version has been out for a sufficient long time so that we are sure no problems will arise when millions of users get upgraded. Security software, especially drivers, are tightly integrated with the operating system and as such may cause problems in certain system configurations. Before releasing a PCU we need to make sure that there is no such configuration among millions of different systems that would cause severe problems after an automatic upgrade. I'd like to emphasize that most of problems can be solved by releasing a module update which is done on an ad-hoc basis.
    Newer builds rarely introduce new features, they are mainly aimed at fixing reported issues. If you're not having a single issue with the product there's basically no reason to upgrade to a newer version. For those who want or need to upgrade, there are ways how to do it even in a network environment.

9. beejay1947

Thanks for the fuller explanation, Marcos. That is more reassuring than being told that ESET is doing no more or no less as regards updates than Microsoft - not exactly an example of being a provider of great customer service! (But that's another story.......)

10. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

...which is perfectly reasonable, and logical. Most, if not all, of the other AV vendors use exactly the same approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.