Eset or Malwarebytes

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aidworker, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aidworker

aidworker Registered Member

Hello, everyone

Eset on my PC "says" all safe while Malware (free download) detected 13 threats, including trojans and RogueAntiGear. It doesnt seem the two are in any conflict on the PC, yet, please advise whether i should have either or both (are they somehow complemeting each other?)..

Loads of thanks in advance.

2. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Keep them both.
    MBAM works differently from your anti-virus, specializes in different threats from your anti-virus, and is designed to work alongside a robust, real-time anti-virus to provide complementary, layered protection.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

dont you have other problems than this decision?

layered detection is futile while nmy is already onboard.

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Stick with both. I'm running eset and malwarebytes pro without conflict with real-time protection enabled for both. Anti-virus and anti-malware typically aren't the same thing, but there are some anti-virus suites that include anti-malware detection, but I wouldn't put my money in there detection rate against a dedicated anti-malware application like malwarebytes.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

As others already said, it's designed to protect from different threats than AV's, and it won't try to protect you from things your AV already does.

I agree with Brummelchen btw.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Keep both of course :thumb:

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You've got indeed bigger issues than 'X or Y?'.
    With 13 trojans onboard, you need a reinstall.
    Don't bother with fast scanning, deep scanning, cloud scanning, live-cd AV scanning, etc. for hours, days and no definitive assurance of a clean system.
    And regarding X or Y.
    Pay once for lifetime MBAM license and pair with a decent free AV.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

As someone said, i would just formart the HDD to make sure everything is clean. :rolleyes:

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Wow, if Eset is not detecting all those threats then they need samples of them. That's horrible! You may want to consider just rolling your image back to a clean image or reinstall Windows if you don't have an image to roll back to. Contact Eset or Malwarebytes to see what they suggest you do.

11. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am also not convinced that Eset is missing all these trojans - all AV will miss the odd one but so many? Can you post what malwarebytes actually shows as in threats? Also, is this the official program from the vendor? If you downloaded a program with this name from obscure sources, you may get shown all kinds of threats that are not there but where the rogue program is happy to help you.

12. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Does seem a bit odd. Is the anti-virus up-to-date and are you running the default configuration? I'm running a elevated setup on my desktop and have been infection free for about a year and half now. Could you list your infections or post a screen shot? Also are you running any other security applications?

13. rothko

rothko Registered Member

I echo the 'keep both installed' advice if your system is happy with it.

As for the 'missed' trojans, this could quite easily be remnants of malware that are non-functioning, which MB is detecting but Eset will not due to them not being active/functioning malware. I've read before that Eset doesn't add detection of 'junk' files that don't pose a problem in the real-world to keep the product lean.

The 'trojans' could simply be text files for example, that while are detected by MB as trojan threats are not actually posing you a risk, just files that you might want to clean up.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

remnant or real doesnt matter - it hitted the system. (if so eset has a log to read out)
    the detection rate of mbam is somethimes higher than eset - pups and pums - blah - but if mbam shows up a trojan this is really serious!

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc512587(en-us).aspx
    HTH

15. er34

er34 Guest

These principals are something all big enterprise users follow. They use antivirus software, they use firewall/HIPS/IPS, they use web filters but they do not rely on antivirus or whatever to secure their data an business. Antivirus is just for the end users / for the consumers. Consumer antivirus is like a fashion / toy for these people. When a machine gets hacked/compromised/corrupted (or is suspected to be compromised) the onsite support always formats and performs reimage (reinstalling Windows = a.k.a. flat and rebuilt). And back up is untrusted (e.g. you are not allowed to backup any P.E. file - the only thing one user can back up to secure location is non-executable files such as documents/pictures/Outlook data - that's it.

:) Flatten and rebuild ! The above quotted article is very true :thumb:

16. aidworker

aidworker Registered Member

Hello, everyone! and super many thanks for replies!

Am afraid cant send the log as just removed MB - seemed to had been the trial version only; thus, am going for filehippo which promises to be totally free at http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/.

will keep, then, both going. and see if "free" MB detects more and will share the log.

once again, super many thanks, guys.
    good day to everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Remember that MBAM also detects suspicious registry values while ESET removes them only if they actually refer to a malicious file. If you would like ESET to analyze what MBAM detected, send the content of its quarantine (%Appdata%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes antimalware\Quarantaine) to ESET's malware research lab as per the instructions here.

18. MultiVisions2013

MultiVisions2013 Registered Member

Eset is a AV and like many others dont have the Malware detection a product like Malwarebytes has. Running both in real time is highly recommended

19. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

MBAM free isn't just trial-ware, it provides free on-demand scanning and cleanup, just no real-time protection.

If you can't or won't reformat, go here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=9573, follow the instructions, and someone will help you out.

Of course, there are other sites that will help you figure out how badly your computer is infected and what to do about it, but this one is from the source (MBAM).

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I would take both off run a trial of F Secure or Bitdefender get a 3rd opinion . IMO your download source tossed some crapware on your computer be leary of where you download trials even download.com is getting to be dangerous. Go to the Malware Bytes website. Chances are you may have infected your machine from where you download the trial from...

21. MultiVisions2013

MultiVisions2013 Registered Member

Emsisoft is using Bitdefender's AV engine :)

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

MBAM should be used with a AV like Eset. By the way EAM has two engines.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.