eset online store geo location sniffing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vtol, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtol

vtol Registered Member

for researching another thread in this forum I was roaming various (country) Eset online stores, starting from here but whenever attempting to go for the purchase the browser always got redirected to the country store where my IP originated from - with various VPN services that could easily and virtually be any country.

I find it intriguing and controversial at least that not only the geo location is being sniffed but also that an AI is telling where to go, whether that is correct and wished for or not, leaving no choice.

Have the users become already that lazy brained that they need to be chaperoned? Perhaps the majority is just fine with it, there might be so a few cases where potential clients may have to buy from another country store than their IP geo location is indicating.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is merely inconvenient for a very small minority of users. Not sure what, if anything, can be realistically done to offer users even better service or value for money offering.

3. vtol

vtol Registered Member

minority concurred, inconvenience not so much as one could end up not be able to conclude the purchase from the Eset online store.
    it should not be so much of a hassle to have an option for setting the store country manually, most airlines doing it.

4. geepee

geepee Registered Member

I can only assume you are referring to me!

Listen, do you think it could be the fact that as I have been with eset (from the early years from Slobovia I think) and have kept multi-year renewing from my GUI have anything to do with it?

Chaparoned? Not sure who you are in eset but the last thing I should have to do is worry about this nonsense - I have installed hundreds of apps over the years and have never run into this type of problem. When it comes time to purchase/upgrade, the websites EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM - including European ones, seem to be able to sort out the country pretty easily (I am in Canada).

The part you don't seem to get is that I have been using the Nod32 interface to get to the eset website - it is embedded in the code!

"Lazy brained..." - yikes!

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

entirely wrong assumption

7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

8. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

In NODland, Canada does not exist. It is a province of San Diego. See the list of countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.