ESET on OS X hanging system during backup.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Carbonyl, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

I'm currently running ESET Cybersecurity 4.0.62 on OS X 10.6.7 and I'm particularly happy with it in comparison to the beta. However, one lingering issue that seems to have persisted throughout is that Time Machine and ESET don't particularly get along very well. Whenever a backup launches (usually hourly), there's always a period of 3-5 minutes when the entire system becomes unresponsive and begins to intermittently lock up. It's possible to wait it out, and eventually the backup will complete and normal operation will resume.

Looking at the activity monitor reveals that eset_daemon is taking up ~150-190% of the CPU during these operations. Disabling real-time file protection will allow the backup to process smoothly and without issue. If ESET is running, however, even a backup as small as 20 MB can take up to five minutes of system unresponsiveness before the backup will complete and the system will resume normal operation.

It's not a terrible issue, but one I'd love any advice or assistance with resolving, if possible. Thank you!

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

The changelog doesn't indicate any significant performance modifications, nor any improvements to the product which would impact the issue I'm seeing here.

Nevertheless, I've upgraded, and will keep an eye on the next backup process to see if the issue is resolved.

Edit: Thank you, dwomack! I think we posted at the same time, so I didn't see your reply, but the exclusion idea is a great one, and will help out a bunch. Thanks for that tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.