ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I can not subsribe to the Beta Newsletter and i can not send a Feedback Form cause both skripts are telling me that my e-Mail Addi is not correct.

Form of the e-Mail Addi is: name@googlemail.com

2. Relentless

Relentless Registered Member

Will users of ESET Smart Security/Antivirus version 4 with an upto date license be able to update to version 5 when its fully released for free or will there be an extra charge?

3. poston8

poston8 Registered Member

Hello,

I can't find a site where I can dowload the beta Smart Security V 5 for Win 7 64 bit.
    Please help me.
    I just purchased Eset Smart Security V 4 for three computers for two years.

Thanks.

Bill Poston

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET customers have always been able to update to newer versions of the product they purchased for free.

5. Marcos

It's downloadable from http://www.eset.eu/download/beta:

6. Habakuck

ESET guys: I LOVE you for the HIPS Feature!

The advanced options are awesome! :thumb: :thumb:

EDIT:

Suggestion: In the HIPS PopUps it would be great to have link to google the parent process directly.

Suggestion2: I think it would be helpful i the user can copy text from the PopUps. Or a "copy to clipboard" option... Something like that.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

So this is the home user version which means it does not have the BE options such as communicating to ERAS? I was hoping to try it out on my work pc for testing.

8. Somulo

Somulo Registered Member

Any reason I should not be disabling HIPS? Sounds a lot like UAC, ThreatSense.net and the like. Can I really trust this program to judge what is "unwanted" behavior? I mean, doesn't that real-time antivirus portion already cover that?

I just want antivirus. I already have disabled the web access scanning, is HIPS just another intrusive feature?

9. Marcos

As of v5, the enterprise version will be a completely different product. A beta will be available later.

10. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Could you please post some screenshots of HIPS options and alerts (if possible)

Thanks,
    Harsha

11. PatG

PatG Registered Member

To ESET and all Moderators: BRAVO ZULU ON VERSION 5! :thumb:

Note: BravoZulu is Navy speak for "WELL DONE"

12. Habakuck

The HIPS & Firewall failed the PCFlank Leaktest. I think that could be better... ;)

I will post some screens soon... have to go for lunch now.

13. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

@Marcos
    I am on sbe antivirus 4 - can I update to home 5? Just on top?

14. Marcos

You can install the beta on any non-server OS. Installation on top of an older version is supported.

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I decided to reinstall ESS Beta to just use the regular update channel again, so I could find out what the uninstaller is like.

I uninstalled ESS Beta and rebooted into Safe Mode, in there I used the ESETUninstaller.exe and that detected both ESS/EAV/EMXS and NODv2 leftovers, I uninstalled both instances.
    Then I rebooted to see what leftovers were left after this procedure.

I found the following on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1:

- AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming, in both folders an empty ESET folder
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ESET and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SysWOW64/ESET both folders don't contain registry items
    - in Device Manager (enabling the view hidden devices), two not totally removed (so they were grayed out) drivers: eamonm (this one probably causes that the ESETUninstaller finds leftovers of NODv2, since with a fully functional ESS Beta that one doesn't show up in Device Manager) and Epfw NDIS LightWeight Filter

Those three items won't cause compatibility issues if you decide to use another security product, and for a Beta the uninstaller ain't bad, but it would ofcourse be nice if the final would atleast fully remove those two leftover drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  16. Habakuck

Hm, i can not disable the file-system shield completely.

If i disable it and try to execute eicar.exe or trojansimulator.exe ESET blocks it anyway...
    I think this could be by design but i think it should be possible to disable the on-execution guard as well.

17. Marcos

The current version of the Uninstall tool does not support v5 yet.

18. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I thought so yes, but I just wanted to try it out and it did actually remove some things.

Some questions:

1. Why did I receive upon activating with my ESS license two mails to thank me for purchasing ESS :D.

2. Is it fully compatible with Windows Live Mail 2011, since I don't see ESET anywhere in Live Mail 2011?
    EDIT: I see that when right-clicking on an email there is an ESET Smart Security context menu with options for reclassifying as/as NOTspam, add to back/white list and rescan message.

3. I see people who don't want to use parental controls can uncheck Integrate into system in the advanced setup tree, how about giving this option in the installer (advanced installer mode for example)?

Nice job on the interface changes, it makes it even more friendly and easy to use, thanks to the refreshed UI, improved advanced setup tree, refreshed notifications.
    Next to that it seems really stable to me at first sight, it doesn't have a noticable impact on my system. For the RAM usage lovers (on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1): egui.exe 6.488 kB, ekrn.exe *32 67.236 kB. However it ain't installed long enough to give CPU / disk measurements.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  19. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

does it have suspicious file monitoring (behavior shield)?. I thought it had during CEBIT launch season.

Thanks,
    Harsha

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it has.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

can anyone post screenshots of the HIPS alerts? thanks

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

How's this:

Attached Files:

• HIPS.GIF
      HIPS.GIF
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  23. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

View image:

Attached Files:

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It would be extremely useful for the HIPS to notify if a new executable currently not on computer is attempting to run or copy to disk.

25. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

i cant see that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.