ESET Love to hate it!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by earthrat, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earthrat

earthrat Registered Member

You know there is not a registry repair/optimizer program known to man that is not flagged by ESET as a virus. Not only that but no matter what I tell the program about the software it refuses to leave it (or me) alone about it.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Have you got the scanning option to detect 'Potentially unwanted applications' enabled? If so, try disabling it and see if that helps.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I use Tuneup utilities registry editor / optimizer, and it does not flag it. I have detect potentially unwanted software enabled also. I also use Ccleaner's registry cleaner without any problem. I've played around with several others in the past without any problems, but not recently. Maybe its some of the definition updates recently from Eset. You could just disable detect potentially unwanted programs, but i'm not sure NOD 32 would detect some of the keyloggers then. Does anyone know if detect potentially unwanted programs is disabled if NOD 32 will still detect programs like commercial keyloggers?

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Detection of commercial keyloggers and the like is handled by enabling 'Potentially unsafe applications' which is a different setting that is disabled by default.

Prevx, which I see from your signature you are using, should provide good protection against keyloggers anyway.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Some example(s)?

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes please :thumb:

And as Cutting_Edgetech, I also use Ccleaner without any issues what so ever :)

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yes, Prevx is great at detecting Keyloggers, but I don't use Prevx on all my machines. I interchange Prevx with Appguard. So I either use Prevx or Appguard on a machine, but not both together. I try not to run too many security apps on the same machine. If I was going to run Prevx with AG then I would probably have to drop Online Armor or NOD 32 to do so. Thanks for the info on the potentially unsafe applications. I was thinking it was called detection of unwanted software or programs. Is that the same thing or did I just get the name wrong?

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Potentially unwanted applications and potentially unsafe applications are different. Here's how the NOD32 help file describes the difference: -

Potentially unwanted applications – Potentially unwanted applications are not necessarily intended to be malicious, but they may affect the performance of your computer in a certain way. Such applications usually require consent for installation. If they are present on your computer, your system behaves differently (compared to the state before their installation). The most significant changes are:

. New windows you haven’t seen previously are opened

· Activation and running of hidden processes

· Increased usage of system resources

· Changes in search results

· Application communicates with remote servers

Potentially unsafe applications – Potentially unsafe applications is the classification used for commercial, legitimate software. It includes programs such as remote access tools, password–cracking applications, and keyloggers (programs recording each keystroke typed by a user). This option is disabled by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.