Eset GUI.EXE crashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Windows will randomly report that the ESET GUI.EXE process has crashed upon opening some web pages , but the eset icon in the sys tray does not disappear, infact the eset gui process is still running so is this a bug ?

Further to this on a more serious point when i try and execute a custom scan without creating a new profile the ESET GUI process will crash ,but this time also stop running , but the scanning starts, but seeems to revert to the default smart scan of all partitions even though i set the scan targets to only the partition the os is running on , something seems very wrong here, as eset never has done this before now , any ideas?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. tommy456

already done regarding the memory accumulation issues, system is clean, could be a conflict with other installed software inc microsoft sw, hardware as far as i can tell is working normally

4. tommy456

Windows event viewer shows the following info about it

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check for malware?

6. tommy456

I found the file that was responsible was installed with divx plus ,It wasn't the divx sw but the visual c++ runtime that it installed but both divx and the runtime library have been removed,(uninstalled)
    Iran a on demand scan with PCTools spyware doctor(paid version) it found nothing eset finds nothing other than the files i know about, that have been on my system for years (majority of them )
    So as that was the only file causing eset gui to crash, i doubt that it will crash again now, one of my games has referenced the same file, amongst other well known files, as a cause for it crashing, but the games code is badly written, as was a ubisoft console port , say no more,:rolleyes:
    In the recent past support ran gmer and catchme rootkit scanners, they found nothing ,
    Probably unrelated and a bit off topic but....
    After uninstalling the divx apps I was left with a partly corrupted user profile, no system sounds or the sound icon in taskbar, then it got worse ,as it started hanging at start up , so matter what i tried, in the end by creating a new profile and after copying some of the original profile setting and files, my original profile stated working again,lol Microsoft !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.