Eset GUI.EXE crashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Windows will randomly report that the ESET GUI.EXE process has crashed upon opening some web pages , but the eset icon in the sys tray does not disappear, infact the eset gui process is still running so is this a bug ?

Further to this on a more serious point when i try and execute a custom scan without creating a new profile the ESET GUI process will crash ,but this time also stop running , but the scanning starts, but seeems to revert to the default smart scan of all partitions even though i set the scan targets to only the partition the os is running on , something seems very wrong here, as eset never has done this before now , any ideas?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. tommy456

already done regarding the memory accumulation issues, system is clean, could be a conflict with other installed software inc microsoft sw, hardware as far as i can tell is working normally

4. tommy456

Windows event viewer shows the following info about it

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check for malware?

6. tommy456

I found the file that was responsible was installed with divx plus ,It wasn't the divx sw but the visual c++ runtime that it installed but both divx and the runtime library have been removed,(uninstalled)
    Iran a on demand scan with PCTools spyware doctor(paid version) it found nothing eset finds nothing other than the files i know about, that have been on my system for years (majority of them )
    So as that was the only file causing eset gui to crash, i doubt that it will crash again now, one of my games has referenced the same file, amongst other well known files, as a cause for it crashing, but the games code is badly written, as was a ubisoft console port , say no more,:rolleyes:
    In the recent past support ran gmer and catchme rootkit scanners, they found nothing ,
    Probably unrelated and a bit off topic but....
    After uninstalling the divx apps I was left with a partly corrupted user profile, no system sounds or the sound icon in taskbar, then it got worse ,as it started hanging at start up , so matter what i tried, in the end by creating a new profile and after copying some of the original profile setting and files, my original profile stated working again,lol Microsoft !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.