ESET for Windows generation 5, summary thread

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by Matthijs5nl, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Since there are loads of threads with information or questions about the upcoming version of ESET scattered all around the ESET forums, I thought it would be a good idea to make a summary of all information. So people with questions will most likely find their answer here, and we have a central thread about this subject.
    I will keep this thread updated when new information becomes available.

Official press releases by ESET

Sources: http://www.eset.eu/company/press & http://www.eset.com/us/press-center.
    • Bratislava, January 21th, 2011: ESET CEO Richard Marko to Head Global R&D and Oversee Rollout of Next Generation Security Solutions
    • Bratislava, February 28th, 2011: ESET to Exhibit at CeBIT 2011: Presentation of ESET Mobile Security for Android, Beta version; Sneak peek of ESET Smart Security 5
    • Bratislava, March 7th, 2011: ESET @ CeBIT 2011: Thousands of visitors, cloud-computing and sneak peek of ESET’s next generation of products
    Screenshots of ESET generation 5

Source: http://blog.eset.se. Also see the thumbnails at the bottom of this post.
    List of changes and improvements

For ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 won't include the Parental control, unclear whether it will include the improved and more visible host-based intrusion prevention system.
    • Parental control
    • More "Cloud" computing: ThreatSense.Net will be steamlined to provide a layer of security
    • Improved and more visible host-based intrusion prevention
    • Improved behavioral analysis technology, which will actively monitor operating memory for any suspicious behavior
    • Improved SysRescue bootable disc
    • More modern, better looking and more intuitive interface (including update checker for program version, also the Standard/Advanced view options will be discontinued)
    • Gaming mode (different from ESET's current fullscreen mode)
    • And ofcourse continuous improvements, to areas such as: functions, analysis, updates, cleaning, performance and compatiblity (for example better support of Windows Live Mail 2011 and Microsoft Outlook 2010)
    Roadmap

ESET hasn't provided us with clear information about when to expect the Beta.
    • ESET will release a Beta version during the first half of 2011
    • ESET is aiming for an final release in August (first month of the second half of 2011)
    General information
    • Will I be able to upgrade to the new version?
      Yes, you buy an ESET license for a product, not for an version. An ESET license is always valid for the latest version. Also when you own an ESET Smart Security license you can use your license to just use ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    • How do I know when and where I can download the upcoming Beta?
      Keep an eye on this thread, and the ESET forums in general. When it will be available you can get it at http://beta.eset.com and/or http://www.eset.eu/download/beta.
    Thumbnails

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great summary (so far) Matt :thumb:

3. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Looks great...waiting for the beta :)

5. dotxzer0

dotxzer0 Registered Member

Omg! Why put parental control in ESET Smart Security? Internet Security Suites used to be Antivirus, Anti-Spam, and Firewall, I don't know when it started to include useless features like Parental Control, sandbox,etc. Eset should just have a new product line called ESET Extreme Security, ESET Total Security or w/e with useless features.

6. x ZauX x

x ZauX x Registered Member

Agreed

7. troy1987

troy1987 Registered Member

When issued ESET for Windows generation 5,

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I also don't need parental control, but I see that for a lot of other people it could be a very useful feature.
    That is why I hope ESET will provide an option to install without parental control. Just like F-Secure does with their Internet Security suite. Problem solved.

9. tipo

tipo Registered Member

they should`ve at least change the colour... i`m sick and tired of that green used in v3 and v4 for, what 4-5 years now?

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No, No. GREEN=your OK = protected and no issues to solve ;)

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Those features are worthless to me as well but not to everyone. If they don't keep up with the other vendors they will lose a lot of customers. Also, as good an idea as it is to have a higher end product line with the extra features, this is already the most expensive suite I own and if they were to do such a thing the price for the Total/Extreme whatever they would call it would be so high that not many would buy it.

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

will there be an option for custom install so that users who dont want parental control will not install it

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

We don't know that yet unfortunately, but hopefully they will include such option.

14. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Wait a minute you are calling Parental control and sandbox useless features, is that it? Oh my God, Oh my God I cannot believe what I just read. :rolleyes:.

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Great Summary, Congratulations!!

16. dotxzer0

dotxzer0 Registered Member

Yes, it's useless. Routers have parental control or use K9 Web Protection, and for sandbox there is Sandboxie. Avast included a sandbox and it's unreliable. Well, Eset only includes Parental Control which is unnecessary, because an antivirus company is suppose to protect the user from getting infected by malware. But, blocking users from viewing web content, that has nothing to do with malware infections or even harm the computer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  17. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

But at least it is convenience for some other users to have all these features in their AV.Right?

18. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Avast included this feature only for one year.Try to give them some time to improve.:)

19. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Mind sharing some more info on this? (sorry, my intent wasn't to go off-topic here).

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I don't want parental controls either, but as long as it does not cause heavier resource & memory usage I don't care. I will just keep it turned off, but yes it would be best if there was an option not to install it at all.

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Its looks as though ESET has finally included a HIPS in there suite. Just guessing, but I bet their HIPS will be a very light HIPS that is not as thorough as some of the others, but also does not prompt the user very much for input on what to allow or deny. Is there any word on what to expect from the HIPS feature?

22. cerberrr

cerberrr Registered Member

I really hope, it will not be a blacklist HIPS..

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's exactly what we want (at least myself and one more person here)

We want a HIPS that doesn't behave like a classic HIPS.

24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Why not start a thread in the other Av forum entitled "What do users think of our sandbox? "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.