Eset for Mac issues with ipod

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Clint0n, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint0n

Clint0n Registered Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased Eset for Mac and ended up having to uninstall it.
    Basically after installing Eset for Mac itunes does not want to sync my ipod.

See also:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2642104&tstart=0

Anyone else the same experience?

I contacted the eset support for my country but basically they told me they never heard of such issue and wished me all the best :mad:

After uninstalling eset for mac all ipod issues where resolved. Just like in the apple discussion thread.

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. dougfiler

dougfiler Registered Member

Clint0n,

I, like many many others, have had the exact same problems as you've experienced. And in my case, I worked with the Apple Store for two hours to confirm it was indeed Cybersecurity for Mac that was causing the problem.

I bought a brand new MacBook Air 11 and iPod 6G, and owned the computer for one week before installing Eset Cybersecurity. Prior to that, the only changes I made to the laptop was loading my music library. Prior to loading Cybersecurity, my iPod Nano 6G synced with no problems whatsoever. After loading Eset, my iPod would not maintain a sync connection and would disconnect randomly. Most often, it would disconnect within seconds are the sync connection was established.

I went to the Apple store, and after much troubleshooting we suspected it was Cybersecurity causing the problems. We then completely reformatted the computer back to new conditions, and performed a test. We loaded two albums onto iTunes, and synced it to a brand new iPod 6G from their stock (that was very nice of Apple to do this, I thought). No problems whatsoever. We then loaded the latest version of Eset Cybersecurity, loaded two more albums onto iTunes, and voila...... the iPod would no longer sync properly. After we uninstalled Cybersecurity, all was back to normal.

I, along with the Apple rep, attempted setting iTunes exemptions in the Cybersecurity software, as suggested by TyeF, and even tried disabling the virus protection, but nothing worked. Others have also posted these attempts, with the same results. By the way, the link provided for the latest Cybersecurity update does not work. A Knowledgebase logon is required.

I contacted Eset about this issue, and wrote a detailed explanation of what was occurring. I paid for a two year subscription, and I desire to use this software. I was basically given the snub in response. A very generic email was sent back to me stating that they would look into it. Yet, no mention made of my not being able to use the software that I paid for. I have yet to see Eset post anywhere admitting there is an issue, or addressing the problem that so many people are encountering. I've written them two additional times asking about the progress on this matter, and if I can get my money back, but have not received a response. Very unprofessional, in my opinion.

I have since registered a claim with my credit card company in an attempt to get my money back. I don't expect this to be resolved anytime soon. I also sent a copy of my problems, with links to the same thread you posted, to Leo Laporte, as he is a Mac user and Eset is a sponsor to his show. My suggestion would be to look elsewhere for Mac virus protection.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. dougfiler

dougfiler Registered Member

Once again the deafening silence from ESET. I'm up to 4 emails to ESET regarding these issues, and have not received any responses beyond the first automated response. This company is a joke, and needs to work on their customer relations. Taking money for a product that was apparently not fully tested, and not respond to customer issues when it does not work properly is unethical.

I have since purchased the latest version of Symantec ver. 11 for Mac, and it works flawlessly.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are not satisfied, and I understand your frustration.

Well if you have actually paid for the product and not only tested the trial
    you are suppose to get great support indeed. Wich is my experience with ESET.

You could try to send a PM to an ESET Mod here at Wilders to get it sorted once and for all!

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you tell me which versions os OS X, iTunes and ESET CyberSecurity are installed on the computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. stratcat72

stratcat72 Registered Member

Mac OS X 10.6.7
    iTunes 10.2.1
    ESET CyberSecurity for Mac 4.0.62.0
    iPod Classic 160 GB 1.1.2

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  8. Muriel17

Muriel17 Registered Member

I am another user with the same problem. Luckly for me I was in the trial period and had not, like others on this forum, paid for the software. I thought that forum readers might be interested in my experience.

I ran a script that ESET sent me. They analysed that and told me I was running Lion which they don't support (I have Snow Leopard 10.6.7) .... so after we got past this ESET then asked me to do the tests (described below). I guess this is reasonable if your a software analyst or something but I did not even get past step 1 of test A.

ESETs response: "without the requested dump files there isn't anything further that we can do"

Me either.

Test A:
    1. turn on core dump generation:
    http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man5/core.5.html
    in Terminal do following:
    sudo launchctl limit core unlimited
    into /cores folder will be copied core dumps of crashed processes.

You can check the settings by:
    sudo launchctl limit
    and it should be for the "core" value displayed: core unlimited unlimited

2. install ECS version 4.0.62 (if uninstalled or if there is older version installed)

3. restart Mac

4. replicate the problem with iTunes. Note the system time (displayed on customers Mac) when you connect iPhone or iPod to the Mac and also the time when started the iTunes synchronisation. Write it down into email, please.

5. after successful replication of the problem, collect the logs again (using collector v10)

6. check folder /cores if there are some core dumps. If yes, pack them and upload them to our ftp.

Test B:
    will test if the issue is caused by esets_mac.

ECS 4.0.62 installed:
    7. turn off GUI [shift + click on close red circle]

8. turn off eset service,
    Write into terminal:
    sudo kill `/var/run/esets_daemon.pid`

9. Write into terminal:
    sudo /Applications/ESET\ Cybersecurity.app/Contents/MacOS/esets_set --section=mac --set='agent_enabled = no'

10. restart Mac

11. check if, mac agent is not running. Write into terminal:
    ps -Af | grep esets
    Eset processes should be displayed, but without esets_mac process. If esets_mac is running, send an email to us, the step 12 shouldn't be taken.

12. replicate the sync issue with iPhone and iTunes. If the issue occur again, upload to us second logs and dumps collection

13. turn off core dump generating via terminal:
    sudo launchctl limit core 0 unlimited

FTP upload instructions:

Please complete the following:

1. ZIP and name the file to your Ticket Number and Subject-line of your email (if you have a ticket number), or if you don’t, then your FIRST and LAST Name as well as todays full date e.g. 20042010 (20th April 2010).

2. Download, SAVE and then Install FileZilla: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

3. Upload the file through the FileZilla Program to ftp://ftp.nod.sk/support/

A Username and Password is NOT required for this FTP site.

ALTERNATIVELY and far slower is the following method:

1. Copy the file that you want to send to ESET into memory (right click on the file and choose copy).

2. Open up “Internet Explorer”

3. Type in the following site: ftp.nod.sk

4. Press Enter on your Keyboard.

5. In the top right of Internet Explorer (usually) click on “Page”.

6. Click on “Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer”. This will open a new Window that has 3 folders in it.

7. Open the file in the new Window that is called “Support”.

8. Right click and Paste the file that you want to send and it will begin copying to ESET’s FTP site.

9. Once completed, please advise me of what the file is called and where you have placed it by replying to this email.

9. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

10. Muriel17

Muriel17 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice about the new version.
    I uninstalled other anti virus then downloaded ESET and tried to install it but it wont let me saying I am already registered. So much for that.
    Kaspersky installed first time, zero issues, works 100%, ipod syncs OK - so I will just reload that instead.
    Thanks again.

11. mabsey

mabsey Registered Member

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks for the helpful post mabsey. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.