eset firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mhd292, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhd292

mhd292 Registered Member

hi,
    i have had eset for over 2 years and think it is a fantastic AV. my personal firewall setting was always set at "automatic filtering mode". recentely, i had to switch to "interactive filtering mode" as a certain port was blocked and prvented from being able to run a safe application. now that i am using "interactive filtering mode", i find it more convenient, and will probably stick to using this.

is this a good choice? am i now more vulnerable to malicious content on the web? which do you use and why? is it too annoying? will it minimize a full screen application when the internet attempts to connect to me pc? am i less safe on the internet?

regards,
    mhd

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it wont minimise a full screen application. So if you are installing a new game etc just click it to learning mode for the first run, this will save any crashes to desktop.
    AFAIK automatic mode is pretty much windows firewall, as it allows all outgoing applications interactive is much safer.
    I think i would choose to run it on learning mode as the pop ups would drive me crazy! (if it worked on either of my pc's that is!)
    Just to add, if you use firewalls for information only, as I do. Automatic mode is better than windows firewall as you can quickly see whats happening in your network.

3. tomi

tomi Registered Member

4. mhd292

mhd292 Registered Member

ok..thanks for the help..which one do you use and why?

if anybody stumbles upon this thread please leave your comments/opinions about which one they prefer to use..all comments/opinions wlecome and would be greatly appreciated!!!!

http://img830.imageshack.us/f/helpf.jpg/

------------

i have set it to interactive filtering mode, and have just received this warning.. i am not sure why a different computer would need to access an application of mine. is this something serious? the other computer is present in my house and shares the same internet i use and both are connected to the router? should i allow it? the other computers network ip is 192.168.1.72 as you can see from the picture uploaded and mine is 192.168.1.87 ....could it be spyware from the other pc attempting to infect mine? please comment!!

5. tomi

tomi Registered Member

If there is no rule available for a connection, you are prompted in a dialog window to allow or deny the connection. It is normal that you have received this warning, because you haven´t set a rule for it yet.

I have "Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules)".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.