Eset File Security for Microsoft Windows Server

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by Trooper, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,
    At my job we purchased 25 licenses for Eset File Security for Microsoft Windows Server. We are migrating from Avast.
    Our environment is Windows 2003 Server Standard edition up to Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition. That said I am finalizing reading the manual and had a few questions.

Typical vs. Custom install. I normally always choose custom install for obvious reasons. However in the documentation it states that exclusions are automatically setup which then makes the argument for doing a typical install much more attractive.

I have two big time SQL boxes so the exclusions for them is a main concern. As are my two domain controllers, but I am sure that they would be much easier exclusion wise. These are all 2008 server boxes by the way.
    I also have a terminal server (2003) that I need to get this installed on ASAP. Anything special for that? Or just follow the manual for TS setup?

I guess what I am asking here is for opinion/feedback of folks that have or are currently running this AV on production servers and what they would recommend. If you need more detail, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also what is the difference between the Full Version and the Core in the download links I have received?

2. BD_OMEGA

BD_OMEGA Registered Member

Hello,

we have ESFW installed an some of our clients Servers. I just had an issue with a SBS2011 box where ESFW corrupted the PowerShell directory which caused the EMC not to open. The client was still receiving e-mail but for the Administration side we could not make any changes. I am in the middle of creating a seperate group just for Servers and adding the proper exclusions to this group.

Bill...

3. Trooper

Thanks for the info.

Well, decided to install with typical installation so the exculsions were setup. This was on the 2003 terminal server. We'll see how it goes.

Forgot to ask a few more things earlier.

Is it recommended on the servers to enable pre-release updates? Thinking no since they're servers, but wanted to double check.

Do you guys ever run off hour scans? If so, do you just run a smart scan or run a custom one?

I would assume you do not check the option for pups right?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is not recommended to enable pre-release updates in a production environment. Pre-release updates are tested on a limited set of system configurations that will never cover all possible configurations that users use.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. Trooper

Thanks Marcos that is what I figured.

What about the initial start up scan that Eset does upon boot/restart? Thinking this may also not be good for a production server. What is the recommended setting?

Thanks!

6. Trooper

Opened a ticket on Friday and still have not heard back.

I have installed it on two Windows 2003 terminal servers. Only problem so far is that Windows Updates does not seem to work. Is this a known issue?

7. Trooper

Was able to get Windows Updates going again by registering java and vbscript dll's. Not sure if Eset caused this, but the problem presented itself after installing Eset on these two servers just FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.