Eset File security 4.0.5 for BSD 8.x segfault

Discussion in 'Other ESET Business Products' started by adri, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adri

adri Registered Member

Hi,

I was using Eset File Security for BSD 7.x version 3.0.22 on a standard FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 server, sing the compat-7x package. This version was working fine.

Today I installed the new version 4.0.5 for BSD 8.x and nothing works anymore.
    All programs, like esets_lic, esets_scan and esets_daemon all terminate directly after startup with a 'Segmentation violation' and leave a core dump.

Has anyone installed the new version on FreeBSD or know how to get it working?

Adri.

2. adri

adri Registered Member

Today I have done a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.2-Release amd64, without any other software added.
    After installing Eset File Security 4.0.5, I still get a core dump everytime an eset program is run.
    Eset version 3.0.x is working without any problems on the same platform, but the new version 4.0.x is NOT!
    For various linux distros, a x64 package is available, but for FreeBSD only 32-bit packages exist.
    When will Eset supply 64-bit packages for FreeBSD or fix the 32-bit packages?
    As a paying customer, being left behind with new versions and without any support, doesn't give me 'warm' feeling.

Adri.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you contact customer/tech support regarding the issue?

4. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

According to my product management contact, ESET File Security does not and has not officially supported 64-bit versions of FreeBSD 5, 6, 7, or 8. However, as you can attest, some versions of ESET and FreeBSD will function such as in your scenario (ESET File Security 3 and BSD 64-bit).

See the following ESET Knowledgebase article for the most current system requirements for ESET File Security for Linux:
    Our product management team is aware of your request for 64-bit support.

Thank you

5. adri

adri Registered Member

If I knew how?
    The Eset website doesn't list any email or technical support contacts.
    Support through my vendor is also limited.
    They tell me my email has been forwarded to eset and I never hear from them again.
    I posted my question on this forum, since it is the 'Official ESET Support Forum'.

6. adri

adri Registered Member

Foneil,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have read the Knowledgebase article which says a 32-bit version of Eset is available for FreeBSD. It doesn't say this version in incompatible with a 64-bit OS.
    Based on my experience with version 3.x, I installed the new version 4.0.5, only to find out the new version doesn't work. From my point of view, this is a reduction in functionality and compatibility.
    If Eset will make a true 64-bit version available in the near future, this would be excellent. If the 32-bit version is made compatible with a 64-bit OS, like the old version, this would be acceptable.
    Do you have any information from product management on the expected timeframe.

Adri.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.