Eset doesn't install, roll back installation.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by polocanada, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polocanada

polocanada Registered Member

I sent question to Eset support, I am registered user, but never got a response.

ESS 4.0 doesn't install. I get roll back. Tried already all advice available in forums, including cleaning up anything that was left from previous 3.x installation, removing my Nvidia drivers etc...

Also tried reinstalling the current 3.x version. Can't either. No problem installing just NOD32. Hangs on the drivers. Installing network driver manually and then installing ESET enables finish the installation but after firing up Eset, the firewall shows not working.

Attached is the log file from installation. http://www.mediafire.com/?mytxt22kzza

Since Eset doesn't respond, so I at least can rant about it here in the forum.

Polo

~uploaded locally to our server for Eset support....Bubba~

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Edit:

I happened to come across a forum where they talk about problems of DLL files not being able to register in registry because of permission problems with corrupted security settings in certain keys in registry.

So for instance, if a firewall driver has a sys or dll and wants to enter a registry key or update a setting and that specific registry key has a corrupted entry of security settings or missing/empty ownership information, the installation routine will not be able to change it. Running Regmon log will show: "ACCESS DENIED".

Now, I don't know whether this is in my case, I am too much frustrated now with having spend a few hours with figuring out this already and not ready to spend another 2 hours with looking at Regmon log, which is long like Chinese wall when running Eset installation. Unless Eset comes with a better idea on how to install the Firewall of Eset, I have given up using Eset firewall, running just Nod32 and running Kerio KPF instead. For now... It must be some sort of permissions. What else.

Anyway, hope somebody from Eset reads this forum. They are smarter folks than me ;-)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

In the moment when installation aborts, do you see new window which asks you if to send report to Microsoft?

If so, then click on blue link "click here" which you should see in mentioned window. Then again you will see two blue links "click here", click first one. New window pops up with path to created dump files.

Something like this:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Adminko\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER00af.dir00\msiexec.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Adminko\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER00af.dir00\appcompat.txt

Then copy all these files to some other folder, since once you close installer, files will be deleted automatically. Then you can click don't send report to MS. Installation rolls back. All copied files upload somewhere to web and post here link.

3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello polocanada,

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you,
    Richard

4. michael_sharp

michael_sharp Registered Member

Hello,

I recently encountered an issue with Samsung New PC Studio causing this error. If you have this installed try uninstalling it then running the Eset installation. I'm not too sure what the Samsung software does to the drivers but it certainly seeemd to stop drivers installing.

5. polocanada

polocanada Registered Member

Richard & Marcos,

How do you please explain the dismal results of the Matousec test?

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

I am wondering now whether I should forget ESET firewall completely with the mess I have with installation and continue running replacement Kerio, which might be not more leaky than ESET firewall.

The Matousec result is just too bad guys, even if you say ESS should be run with other modules. That's not an answer. Why did Norton or KIS score better on that list?

Matousec just blew the wind out of Eset. So funny.

polocanada

6. dirtydevious

dirtydevious Registered Member

Not sure how to flag this post, but I totally ignored and skipped the Samsung New PC Suite part of this thread and that was my problem all along all up I spent probably 24 hours hours trying to resolve this issue which in the end took 1 minute, my fault should have taken more notice of the this thread because I had read it no joke probably 10 times during my troubleshooting. I know i'm stoopid! Go easy...

ESET-CREATE A KNOWLEDGEBASE ARTICLE FOR THIS OR WHY COULDN'T YOU BUILD IT INTO PART OF YOUR TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS BY DEFAULT?

I was about to pull the pin on ESET and go to Kaspersky because of this one issue. Now I am not talking about one license, I am talking my entire client base as I am a reseller.

So Guys once again, update all your documentation and troubleshooting resources to include this, no doubt it will help you guys keep more clients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.