Eset Conflicting with Steam .exe's

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by OrdoExtraho, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdoExtraho

OrdoExtraho Registered Member

Over the last fortnight i have had two of my steam games .exe files flagged as Unknown Win32 Crypt Variants after checking the steam forums I have found that many people have been encountering the same problem with their eset smart security 5 over many different games the only things in common being that they are all steam versions of the executibles is their some kind business conflict a programming conflict why is this occurring all of a sudden i mean this is the third time in a fortnight that i have had to implement a workaround with this program i am not a fan of compromising my security or limiting what my Smart security can and can't scan but i need a certain amount of functionality out of my computer this is a very disconcerting trend that would make me reconsider renewing if this where to continue in this fashion.

The files i have had flagged are
    Legends of Pegasus
    Dungeon Defenders
    Both games have been on my system for a while and have had no previous problems with either of them had it just been one i may thought it where somehow corrupted or compromised the file during a update or some such but for numerous titles by unrelated companies to all of a sudden to have their executibles virus laden doesn't make sense unless your suggesting that steam has been compromised and numerous games using the steam version of their executibles.

according to the forums some of the other titles are
    Battlefield 2 Bad Company
    Borderlands
    Skyrim
    Limbo
    and these are just the titles that where listed.

2. iviv

iviv Registered Member

Same here. I've had Dungeon Defenders and FTL: Faster than Light. Virustotal reports that its only ESS that's flagging them as well. I assume its due to some sort of change in the way that Steam packs its .exe files which is annoying ESS's heuristic scanning. Hopefully something can be done about this soon, its getting annoying having to add so many files to the exclusion thingumy.

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

4. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yep, same here, I discovered playing Battlefield 2 Bad Company, ESET firewall clash with a lot of software...

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am checking with ESET's malware researchers on this, but it would be helpful if someone could provide the following information:
    • name of file in which threat was reported
    • name of threat reported by ESET's software
    • version of virus signature database
    This type of information is always helpful for prompt remediation of a false positive alarm.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I presume this heuristic FP was fixed about 2-3 days ago. Should a particular file still be detected, submit it to ESET as per the instructions above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.