ESET blocks Vaio Update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kokoriko, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoriko

kokoriko Registered Member

Hello,

Ever since I bought ESET Smart Security, I have been unable to use Sony Vaio Update for my laptop (there's a Toolbar Icon for Vaio Update and when you click on it Internet Explorer opens and transfers you to the Vaio Update Webpage where you can either manually or automatically download updated software)...
    The whole window freezes and after several efforts I manage to shut it down... I tried to uncheck the Vaio Update box in Eset's Advanced Setupe/Web browsers so that it won't filter the Update's content but there was no difference.
    Finally, the only way to use the update is to de-activate Eset completely!

At the same time, using Eset's advanced heuristics freezes my computer when I am doing complicated tasks such us file transfers...

Eset does not seem to co-operate if you get to do something more complex than simple web browsing - am I wrong? Why should I use a highly expensive anti virus software when it literally does not protect me in highly risked usage of my computer?

Any reply would me appreciated,

thank you in advance,
    H.o_O o_O

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

It should protect you just fine, do you have interactive firewall enabled or default, because if you have the interactive one enabled you may need to make some custom rules, to allow your update, also any slowdowns or freezing it may be conflicting with other software your running.

3. kokoriko

kokoriko Registered Member

thank you but interactive firewall is not enabled...

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Maybe just a bug then, i have no clue ;/

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello kokoriko,

You could try uninstalling your version and try the V4 beta with the firewall in the learning mode. You will be notified of every outgoing connection and can edit the firewall rules as you please.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you tried excluding the SONY VAIO Update application's directory from being scanned? If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.