ESET AV 6 RC Memory usage issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Biozfear, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biozfear

Biozfear Registered Member

Has anyone experienced memory issues with ESET AV 6 RC? Basically it drops from 7xk Ram to less than 20k.

Here is the video to describe it accordingly: http://youtu.be/z_IReUtUFeE

Steps to replicate: Install, Update, Restart, let it sit on idle for a bit and you will notice the RAM going down.

Stock settings used.
    VMware workstation 8.0 was used
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit
    1GB RAM
    1 Processor.

Same happened on my Host machine, i7 quad laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Also for those who want to see the I/O:

Upon restart and update, eset service goes all the way to 70k/80k as usual. Then it starts to drop.

When it reached 30+K, I decided to do a folder scan. ram went up again to below 48k (my suspicion is that they load the database again upon scan being started). Stock settings has Idle Scan disabled by the way.

Here are the 3 screenshots: Before scan, during scan (just upon finishing) and after scan drop.

Is this intended to be like this?

2. Flyer00

Flyer00 Registered Member

This is great! I tried the beta in the spring and it had the opposite problem -- memory usage was up to around 200 Mb after a few days. Glad to see the RC has become so memory efficient. I wish more software was like this.

3. BALTAGY

BALTAGY Registered Member

this problem didn't solved yet, i wait for fix for v6 to try it

4. Biozfear

So I would assume it is a bug?
    Could someone confirm?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Memory usage up to 100-150 MB by ekrn is ok. If it's more, it should be investigated further. I should add that a bug in Windows Filtering Platform can cause memory leaks also in applications that utilize it.

6. Biozfear

Hi Marcos,

For Version 5, according to the official site, Memory Consumption: 100 MB.

So anything above 100 should not be ok, unless the description in the site is changed, otherwise is misleading the customers.

Bear in mind that my original post is not memory usage going above 100mb. Instead is a consistent drop to under 20MB...

Can you investigate this further? Refer to original post and the video along with the screenshots.

Also, if you say that a bug within Windows causes Memory Leaks, shouldn't ESET contact the relevant department regarding this matter or perhaps find a work around? As far as I remember Version 3 did not have this problem I described. Version 4 I am unaware since I did not use version 4 at all.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.