Eset and windows updates

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by vamos, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamos

vamos Registered Member

Hi I downloaded a free trials of Eset smart security from eset.co.uk. Today I reinstalled Windows 7 to to factory settings to try Eset smart security out . After I installed Nod 32 I updated Windows 7 and my pc froze when I was told to restart my pc never had this before. I decided to do a system restore to earlier in the afternoon before I had installed Nod 32 and I did the windows updates and they worked fine . Is there a problem with using smart security and performing a windows 7 update ? Or could it be something strange going on with my pc.

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

there shouldn't be any issues

3. vamos

vamos Registered Member

Ok good , I will put my pc back to factory settings tomorrow and try again and hope it doesn't freeze up again lol

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Actually it sounds like the problem I posted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276902 It may not be limited to that one update.

I think it is locking the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution when the updates are attempting to write there as I lost my update history and the update I was attempting to install was corrupt, never finished, and would not uninstall or reinstall. Fortunately after a system restore and the removal of ESS allowed me to reinstall the update and get back up and running again (ESS is corrupt after a system restore). I think this is a bigger problem that needs to be looked into.

At the very least I would recommend following the instructions in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

6. vamos

vamos Registered Member

It's strange because I did have a trial of smart security earlier on in the year and I reinstalled windows a few times that month as I kept thinking I had a virus lol. Every time I updated Windows it always worked fine . Recently I read Eset had a updated version of smart security and thought I would try one last time before I bought a copy as I found it the best av program :D But now this has happened with the freezing im worried it could happen every time I updated my pc.

xxJackxx that's interesting thanks

7. xxJackxx

I've used ESS on and off ever since it was first released and this is the only build I've had this problem with. I'm not currently running it right now due to the 4 hours lost with this problem, but I'm sure they will fix it given enough people having the problem and the ability to reproduce it.

8. xxJackxx

Ok, what can I do on this issue? I have licenses for 4 paid Security Suites from different vendors and am happy with none of them at the moment. ESS would be my first choice due to having the greatest usability with the least false positives, but I can't have it trashing my systems again. What can be done about the real-time file system protection locking Windows Update files in the progress of installing? Do I need to remember to disable it? I likely won't, as it has never been an issue before. I don't currently have ESS installed for this reason. It is evident by this thread I am not the only one having this issue. What can I do to assist in getting this resolved?

9. vamos

vamos Registered Member

I found a trial copy of Eset that I had put on a laptop a few months ago , I reinstalled windows 7 and tried the older version of Eset on my pc and it worked fine. So it must only be the latest version which has the problem :( I hope there is a fix soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.