ESET and program updates

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by prefect, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prefect

prefect Registered Member

Why doesn't eset even offer an option to receive application updates through the program itself? There should even have a option in advanced settings for it, if you wan't to receive new versions automatically. Can't the update servers handle it?

Even the free antivirus programs can install application updates, like avg and etc.

When there's new version available people update to that without the devious work like with eset products: open browser, goto eset.com, download install file(find our username and password), export settings, remove old version, reboot, install new version (when installing click next 10 times), import settings, update av definitions.

And whats even more annoying it seems that when changing smart security versions 4, some settings reset, and those have to be set again.:ouch:

I just don't get it. Why doest it have to this way..:cautious:

Why can't we have program updates through the program itself if we want it that way?

2. pip22

pip22 Registered Member

Updating the program should be set by default, and there is an option to not receive them (ie virus definition updates only) if you prefer.

Do this:

1. Open ESET Smart Security configuration window
    2. Bottom right, change view to 'Advanced'
    3. Left menu, click 'Setup'
    4. Click "Enter entire advanced setup tree"
    5. in Setup window, click 'Update' in left pane.
    6. In right pane click 'Setup' button where it says "Advanced update setup"

3. Pepi74

Pepi74 Registered Member

That was explained so many times: there is no automatic updates of program in NOD (regardless that option exist)

4. prefect

prefect Registered Member

I am aware of those update options, those are presented during the setup everytime. But what I can't believe that doesn't really matter what you select because ESET opts out in delivering updates trough the update servers.

Smart security versions 3 had that option too, but it was never used(?). Now with version 4 I though it would finally matter, but oh no. What is the point presenting and tauntin user with that update option when it ever never does absolutely nothing?

Receiving updates for the program is everyday life in so many security suites and antivirus programs, so why ESET just presents that option but never gives us the change to use it.

Doesn't it make sense that if I'm now using Smart security version 4.0.417 and I have opted for the program updates that It would actually update to the newest version and just notify me and ask for reboot etc. Mind-blowing.

Best practical joke ever by ESET?:blink:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. BBS808

BBS808 Registered Member

Is there at least an option that notifies users of a new update...a simple message or something?

6. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I don't know. I myself don't particularly like the thought of having to download/uninstall/install ESET products everytime they come out with a new build.

I have discovered many things that ESET does differently than the other AV/Security Suites, things that I find most peculiar. It's kind of unsettling in a way.

ESET's got 18 months to convince me that they're worth a license renewal. I must admit, they're not doing a very good job of it. Still kinda pee oh'd about buying that stupid backup cd...for $10.00, what a waste.

All I can say is that I'm on the fence, waiting for that one thing that's going to pull me one way or the other. Right now the forces are equal from both sides chewing me from limb to limb.

7. patch

patch Registered Member

They use it when they are confident their program is safe to use.
    Clearly it has been a long time since they had any real confidence in their program. Problem is they then end up having to support multiple versions and users suffer bugs long after they have been fixed.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237988
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=238875

Sad really as the way to find (and fix) bugs in new software is to do extensive beta testing yet they avoid it. I can only assume they are severely under staffed so have more than enough things to fix without encouraging users to find more.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.