ESET 4.2 - Is is absolutely necessary for everybody to upgrade?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by newbie2247, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I am a Vista Premium Home User. I do not have Windows 7 and don't plan to unless it comes with my next PC in the future.

I looked into the 4.2 change log and since I'm no techie and don't understand the importance of these things I didn't see a whole lot of changes. Maybe about 6 or 7 of them - all Greek to me. I did notice Windows 7 mentioned there and in various other places that referred to the upgrade. So, what I am concerned about is since I don't have Windows 7 is upgrading to version 4.2 essential for me to do?

Currently I am using version 4.0.24.0 which I upgraded to in May 2009 and maybe I do need the upgrade. Who know? I certainly don't. Since they're free for us, most of us in the know get them after the beta testing is done. Since ESET never bothers to notify their customers (which I find absolutely reprehensible - especially when you consider how much we pay for their products - double OUCH!!!) about these upgrades via email notification, I only learned about it by pure accident. Nice, eh?

The reason I need to know whether or not I need to upgrade or I MUST upgrade (even thought I don't have Windows 7) is this:

Ever since I've been using ESET Smart Security - many years now - upgrades have been a real thorn in my side. I have never gone through one without weeks of aggravation afterwards, usually months. There is inevitably at least one to three snags that come along with every upgrade, for me that is. I have no clue why this is. My guess is a pretty good one if you ask me and that is that BETA testing was never long enough and ESET rushed to get the upgrade out.

I have a very simple setup with very few applications, nothing big or sophisticated. I use it at home for pleasure, playing my games (99% of them from paid for CD's or paid for downloads), surfing the `Net using my WOT advisor, email and reading my favorite blogs and news sites. I have Sandboxie and never use it. Should I? Is it compatible?

Last question and this is very important. I've got to be really clear on this. I have some programs loaded on my computer for on demand use only. WinPatrol, Superantispyware and Sandboxie for example. Other than my ESET v4.0.24.0, the only other "running" anti-virus or anti-spyware program I have is the paid Malwarebytes, OK? Now, the directions tell us to uninstall all kinds of stuff before installing the upgrade which is a MAJOR burden (for me) and I must know what I have to uninstall. I'm thinking or hoping for me it is only the Malwarebytes and none of the on demand stuff. Please tell me if I am correct. If I am going to do this, I want to do it properly and lessen the multitude of problems and aggravation I expect after the upgrade to 4.2.

Thanks all!
    How is everybody who has the upgrade doing? Any problems or complaints? I don't know exactly which thread to go here to read them, obviously.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

You don't have to uninstall any of the other security solutions you listed. Obviously don't have them running when you are upgrading, should you decide to do so. I have always upgraded on top, without removing the previous install, however, a lot of people remove the old install before installing the new version. But install a new version I would

3. newbie2247

Cudni,

Would you recommend that I uninstall the Malwarebytes? Or just turn the Malwarebytes off?

What do you think?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I would do that :)

5. newbie2247

You woud which one, LOL? I gave you 2 choices, lol, and you said: "I would do that". Ha, ha. Still laughing.

Seriously, whichat would you do in my case/ Also, for me, would you recommend that I uninstall my present old ESET version/

Thanks so much for your time and help. Lord knows we non-nerds need it.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is the way I tell them ;)
    Although I selected one of your choices in my earlier reply. As for Eset, remove the old version and install a new one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.