escan users/supporters

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by opusthe2nd, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opusthe2nd

opusthe2nd Registered Member

Hi All,

I am a 6yr support/sales person for MWTI.

I am looking for some negativism towards the escan product. Can anyone come up with anything? I am not looking for "this or that" is better.

Any help would....well, help. :)

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Welcome to the forum opusthe2nd. I actually didn't understand what you
    want to say. I'm assuming that you need a review. I haven't used it for a
    long long time. It uses an old AVP engine so it has good detection rate.
    That is the only good point I can remember. I used to run Windows ME at
    that time and eScan was very unstable and resource hungry. Well, you
    can blame it on ME too. Its using the same engine I reckon.

3. opusthe2nd

opusthe2nd Registered Member

Thanks!

If its been that long, there is a new engine.....if my memory serves me correct....at my age, one never knows!

Just wanting to find someone that hsa something negative to say about the newer versions. I havent heard a negative anything from my clients nor anyone else that has used it. Surely there has to be something.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Firstly regarding the MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility its way to expensive @ $99.95 for an ondemand scanner.
    secondly you never fix the heaps of false positives that it picks on with other security software.
    apart from those two thingies which prohibit me from purchasing or recommending its use to others its fine.

5. roamer_1

roamer_1 Registered Member

Hi opusthe2nd,

Also RE: MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility:

I pretty well quit using your newer versions when they went to "Scan and Report" rather than "Scan and Clean", so I will have to try you if the thing will clean again...

a few observations:

-Shutting off the "clean" just plain wrecks the thing- It bent me the wrong way and made me angry. Nothing more useless than a cleanup engine that doesn't clean.

-I agree with the False Positives mentioned elsewhere- I would be less inclined to recommend an AV that has considerable FPs to my clients... andI tend not to use cleanup engines that I have to watch.

-99/yr is way too much- all the other AVs that offer an emergency clean engine do so as a lost-leader (free). See Trend Sysclean, DrWeb CureIt, and etc..., but here you are with the most expensive cleanup tool on the planet.

-Left in it's package, there is no way to direct the installation to where I want it to go. As a service tech, I shovel in alot of junk (yours isn't the only one), and I like it all to go into one temp folder, rather than anywhere else... a method of silent install with directory choice (like by batch) would be helpful. That way I only need to worry about removing one directory.

-I'd like it much better if there was a stand-alone engine installation. I already have an automated method for DLDing KAV defs... and DLDing the whole enchilada takes a while.

The short and sweet of it is, I used the utility, liked it generally (lite, quick, and pretty effective), but FPs got me grumpy, and "Report Only" got me mad... so I never went on to eScan at all.

Hope that helps...

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

A long time ago (1-2 years), I used to regularly report bugs in eScan to the MicroWorld team. The biggest faults I find in eScan even today are:

1) Free version

- Does not clean, costs ridiculously high price of $99.95 (even eScan ISS costs only 58.95!)
    - A bit dated UI

2)Paid version

- eScan ISS does not have a real firewall. Any Internet Security Suite on the market today has a decent firewall.

- Lack of a quarantine in the On-Demand and real-time antivirus scanners

- GUI of the Real-time AntiVirus monitor is a bit outdated (Make it consistent with the GUI of the Content Administrator and On-Demand scanner)

Other than that I can't really complain about eScan. It is a decent product with frequent updating.

BTW, would it be OK to ask your full name?

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trialed eScan 2 or 3 years ago and the $ was too high.That was the biggest "negative" that I remember.

8. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

Hello,

Yeah I was using it for about a year and didn't really pay much mind to system resources at the time.
    After having a few issues with the product I decided to do a uninstall/reinstall to clear up some matters.
    Before doing the reinstall I took a screenie of the running processes which was like 25.
    After doing the install that number jumped to 36. This was a little shocking for a AV that I figured was light on resources.
    Mind you when you disable the e-mail scanning that number dropped to 32 if I remember correctly.
    The commit charge also went way up accordingly so. From say 133 to 206.
    I Have the screenie saved if your interested in seeing it.

===On the Plus Side===
    I liked the MWAV Utility Kit that came along with the AV,
    that was kinda handy as it uses the Kaspersky scanning engine.
    The updated never failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.