eScan Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by snowboard, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Right now I have BitDefender 8.0 Standard, and I am thinking of purchasing eScan Antivirus for windows for a real time scanner.

Is there real time scanner good and reliable?

If not, is there another good real time scanner?

Regards,

snowboard

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I can only go on what I have tried.Nod 32 is great as a realtime scanner with good detection rates,low resource use and speed.
    The latest tests from FF show escan as having the best detection rates but I can't comment as I haven't tried it.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

eScan uses the Kaspersky engine which is responsible for its good scores. My suggestion would be to check out Kaspersky first though - eScan in my experience adds extra bloat which most users do not need (e.g. NetBIOS folder access control, web content filtering) and its installer does make changes to Windows system/service settings that an anti-virus program has no business making in my view (e.g. enabling Windows Update if you have it disabled).

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

eScan has been failing the recent Virus Bulletins. It has got some file restrictions, which is why it does not score exactly as much as KAV in most tests. It has hourly updates like KAV, but there have been no new builds of eScan for quite a while now.

Besides, you cannot update the program using the updater, and downloading 21MB+ worth of data every time a new build is released, will not be fancy for everyone.

It is heavier than KAV in my experience - you'd do better to get KAV itself. And it has the script checker for Internet Explorer disabled by default.

5. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

With Bitdefender 8 you have one of the top 5 AVs about in my opinion. No need to change - use Escan mwav 4.47 free as an on demand back up.

Try the trial version of the full Escan prog - that will soon put you off. :D

6. I agree with Ianb....You already have one of the best. Plus you have a
    registry defender built in....I'm trialing Kav MP3, and Ewido beta as back ups
    They have never found anything on their scans

7. snowboard

Does BitDefender and KAV work well together?

If they do, should I have KAV as my real time scanner and my demand scanner and have BitDefender as my demand scanner only?

Regards,

snowboard

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

You may utilize both in either combination, KAV RT with BD 7.2 free as OD only, or BD 8 RT with a scanner like escan free 4.4.7, this way you only pay for one license. HTH

9. snowboard

Is there a difference between BitDefender 8.0 Standard and BitDefender 7.2 Free?

Will KAV work with BitDefender Standard?

Or are you trying to save me some money by doing the BitDefender Free and KAV?

Regards,

snowboard

10. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Bitdefender 8.0 real time scanner + firewall bitdefender 7.2 free is only on demand scanner.

Regards

11. snowboard

Thanks colorado13 :)

Regards,

snowboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.