esata not recognized when booting WinPE

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by WorkForFood, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WorkForFood

WorkForFood Registered Member

Hi,

I downloaded the Paragaon WinPE recovery CD. When I boot from the CD my eSata drive is not listed. Does Paragon Drive Backup 10 Workstation Edition support eSata? If so, how can I make it work with my eSata drive?

All my backups were placed on the eSata drive running from Windows Vista so I know this PC can work fine with the eSata drive.

I did not install any special drivers to make the eSata drive work under Vista.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

WinPE is Windows in memory and doesn't include drivers the Vista may load. Does that drive show up in the BIOS list? If not, you'll need to load the 32-bit drivers for that drive.

3. WorkForFood

I found 32 bit drivers for the eSata card and downloaded them into a directory that was available to WinPE. I booted WinPE and using Tools/Add Drivers I successfully installed the driver (according to the dialog box that popped up). Howerver, the eSata drive was still not one of the selectable drives in either the restore or backup function.

The eSata drive did "click on" during the driver installation so I believe it was being effected by the install, but after the install it was not visible to me.

The eSata drive is formatted as NTFS.

Here is what the card lists as in device manager under Windows Vista:

Silicon Image Sil 3132 SATALink Controller

Any other ideas on how to get this working?

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

How many drivers to you have? I know when it comes to using USB 3.0 drivers, one has to load the controller INF first before the hub INF or it doesn't work.

5. WorkForFood

Sorry, I'm not sure of what you are asking. This is an eSata external hard drive connected to an eSata card in the PC. USB drivers are not required for anything that I'm doing or were you using an example to show that there may be multiple drivers and the order matters (perhaps) for eSata? I only saw a single driver file and it is for the eSata card and that is the driver I installed successfully but it still did not make the eSata drive visible when I looked at all the drives.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Yes, I was using the USB 3.0 as an example. I just looked up your card, downloaded the 32-bit zip file and there are two INF files(si3132r5.inf and sippd.inf). You might want to try loading one first and then the other first to see if that helps at all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. WorkForFood

Thank you, I'll check. I only saw a single .inf in my download so I'll look for a different download with the two files in it and give it a go.

8. J P G

J P G Registered Member

Hi, please can you provide a link for the drivers you mention here. I have the exact same issue.
    I suppose that we don't know if the issue was resolved but I need to get this fixed before things break.
    Thanks
    Jon

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Unless you know you have the exact same hardware you should be downloading the drivers from the manufacturer's site for your hardware.

10. J P G

J P G Registered Member

Yes it was the same Silicon Image Sil 3132 SATALink Controller.
    In the mean time I found the drivers on the Silicon Image site and was successful in installing them, from the booted WinPE CD image.
    Thanks.
    Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.