eSATA drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RPMtl, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPMtl

RPMtl Registered Member

I'm using the latest version of Acronis True Image 10 v10,0,0,4942 and am wondering if there is a solution to using an eSATA drive when restoring a drive when booting from the rescue CD.

I hot-swap drives using a Vantec EZ-Swap2 tray system. My Intel DP965LT motherboard's SATA connector do not support AHCI under WindowsXP so I added a Vantec eSATA ST400 PCIe card which works great. I can backup to the connected SATA drive from within XP. But when boot with the CD the drive is not seen by Acronis True Image 10.

I just had a problem which forced me to restore my system on a new drive. But I needed to plug the SATA onto the motherboard's SATA connectors for it to be recognized. Everything from that point on worked flawlessly so I'm obviously happy. But I wonder if there's something I need to do to access the drive connected to the ST400 PCIe SATA interface rather then having to open the computer case and mess with the wires?

Thanks,

Russell

2. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

With a genuine eSATA port on a PCI card, you should have no trouble seeing the drive when booting with the Rescue media. I do that on my laptop - I have a eSATA PCMCIA card that connectd to an external eSATA drive, and the bootable CD sees it easily.

In that mode, the drive has to be connected and powered on before starting the Rescue Media boot process. You can't hot swap in that mode.

3. RPMtl

RPMtl Registered Member

Thanks for replying Corky.

Perhaps it's because it's connected via a PCMCIA card? In my Device manager the ST400 PCIe card is listed as a 'Silicon Image 3132 SATALink Controller' in the 'SCSI and RAID Contollers' section. I also have an Adaptec 39160 Ultra SCSI controller installed to which I connect 2 Atlas 15k drives. Those drives are visible (as is my main SATA boot disk) when I boot from the recovery CD.

Russell

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Sounds like the usual lack of a proper Linux driver for your eSATA card. Two options: 1. Raise an official support request from Acronis and have them send you an image of the recovery CD that works with your board. This should be done so the TI package gets updated for the latest HW (when it gets released is another matter).
    2. Create a BartPE CD which is a Windows environment and if you had to load drivers from a CD when you installed the card ensure you add them to the BartPE environment.

5. RPMtl

RPMtl Registered Member

I think a Silicon Image 3132 SATALink Controller Linux driver does exist directly from from Silicon Image:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx?pid=32&cid=3&

It might just be as easy as adding the driver to the Acronis CD's driver installs. I contacted Acronis customer support and will wait to see if it's do-able.

Russell

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RPMtl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post, and send them with a reply to the message with your Acronis request number (if you haven't sent those with your original request).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.