Erunt Registry backup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I have seen in several posts that Erunt Registry Backup can be used in place of System Restore, perhaps even instead of imaging.

Is this correct, if so how does replacing the registry put back software that might have been uninstalled for example?

I have I misunderstood?

Thanks

Terry

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

no, not instead of system restore and definitely not instead of imaging. in addition to them maybe

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

It won't restore a program that's been uninstalled, rather it is intended to make a scary error related to the registry go away.

I think you would apply an ERUNT backup if some registry change creates problems with your operating system or applications. These may be caused by manually cleaning the registry or by some application's operation. What effect would you see if you had such a problem? I don't know, perhaps a scary OS or application error messages, BSOD's, etc. :doubt:

I've previously set up ERUNT to automatically create backups in the past, but have never had to resort to using it to solve a problem. I have since invested more time into an image creation regimen, so I have since dropped ERUNT. That said, automatic ERUNT backups are simple to set up (as I recall) and if it saves your bacon, you'd probably be grateful.:D

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Actually, ERUNT can be used as an un-installer, the same way System Restore can. The difference between the two is that if you can access your system 32 files, you can activate ERUNT. I use WUBI, which can access ALL windows files from within Ubuntu. Just 2x click the ERUNT restore point and re-boot back into windows...

5. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

BTW : is ERUNT safe ? All other registry backup tend to lock the PC during backup while it is instantaneous with ERUNT ? So is the actual config being saved ?

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I use ERUNT as an emergency backup tool. It has an auto registry backup at every boot - if you so wish (I think you can set the number of backups that are stored within the ERUNT folder, 7 days, 30 days, etc) but other than that ... it is down to the user to backup. When I can remember ... I take a snapshot before installing anything major.

I have used it a couple of times to get out of a jam. Only a couple of weeks ago I deleted something important with CCleaner - it screwed my mouse movement, so used cursor keys to navigate to ERUNT backup folder, BINGO! solved the problem.

If you like slimline Windows resources then it can be a good alternative to System Restore (depending on how well you remember to backup before software installs, etc) - there are no running ERUNT resources other than at boot.

It's not an alternative to imaging, though.

7. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I just started using ERUNT. I have read that it is better than System Restore because it saves the "complete" registry which System Restore does not. There is also an executable version which does not have to be installed. I have used the executable for a while but it will not run a scheduled backup so I will probably install the full version in the next couple of weeks and schedule regular backups.

If you do a search you will find a great deal of information on Erunt. One good one is at the following URL:
    http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/ERUNT/ERUNT.htm

If you're interested in system recovery and related, you might also be interested in UBCD4Win. This is an amazing tool. Just do a search. I believe it only works with XP and below.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I question the accuracy of this regarding System Restore not saving the entire registry. Do you remember where you may have found this?

IMO, ERUNT is only good for about 5 or 10 minutes, if that long. The registry is a living, breathing thing. It changes almost by the second. If you have made any file changes to your system, using ERUNT to restore from could be dicey at best.

My recommendation is to use a reliable imaging program first, then maybe System Restore after that. (Although in my case, I have System Restore turned off.)

9. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Sorry, but I don't remember where I read this. I'd be interested in knowing if Erunt is a more complete solution than Erunt.

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I don't use System restore.

I use ERUNT ever. And sometimes NTRegOpt.

Excellent tool that can prevent registry changes unwanted (like when you are testing registry changes; before to clean the registy with some aggressive Registry Cleaners: e.g. RegSeeker...; it allows to start your damaged OS after registry OS failure).

:thumb:

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I prefer ERUNT because system restore has failed me about half the times I needed it, and it hogs resources and slows the computer down. And if you cannot boot to safe mode, and you are stuck in WinXP Recovery Console or booting off BartPE or similar, then you cannot activate system restore and trying to manually find the backups it made of your reg hives and replace your corrupted reg hives with those is a mess, whereas ERUNT has a single dos command for it.

Now ERUNT just makes a copy of the files (hives) that constitute your computer's registry (usually in system32/config folder: system,sam,security,software and ntuser.dat, maybe UsrClass.dat). If you have registry related problem, just replace the current registry files with the backups. I think they are usually about 50-100 MB (maybe compressed), so it takes maybe 30 seconds to copy them each startup. And restoring them takes 30 seconds plus reboot.

You can specify the number of consecutive backups ERUNT keeps by editing the run command in startup->erunt autobackup->properties. For example, I keep 4 days worth of autobackups:

If your problem has to do with a corrupted boot sector/MBR, messed up partition tables or something else non-registry related, then you need another tool. I (auto-)run ERUNT once a day at startup, and in addition I also use Acronis True Image weekly in case of bigger emergencies.

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If your problem has to do with a corrupted boot sector/MBR, messed up partition tables or something else non-registry related, then you need another tool. I (auto-)run ERUNT once a day at startup, and in addition I also use Acronis True Image weekly in case of bigger emergencies.[/QUOTE]

To make life easier i also vote for imaging,i case just as you mentioned with a messed up MBR,restoring an image is all you need.
    If partition table is corrupted then its a different story,i once messed up with it,and eventually had to reinstall the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.