Erros After Copy/Update

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mata7, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Ah I see you are in the wonderful world of Vista. First you could look at the log Tools>options>view log, and see if anything stands out there. Then I would just redo the copy and see what the errors look like. IF none I'd reboot and see if the snapshot boots okay.

If this persists I'd definiitely report it to Raxco.

Pete

3. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

peter thanks for you help

after the copy/update, i boot to that snap and it boot fine and all my program and my comp work good wiht out a single problem, is extraneous

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hopefully Mata7 yoiu don't mind if I sneak onto your thread with a similar problem as it seems a waste to start a new thread.

I have noticed the same problem in my secondary copy completed with 13 errors, the program itself doesn't seem too bothered by this as there is no specific warning, the box which mata7 posted as a screenshot is set to close on completion of a copy/update by default and after this the only evidence of errors or not is contained in the logs.

Anyway, I tracked the culprit to be AntiVir Guard (I think), as on closing that, copy/update went error free. So, I have a primary snap, a secondary snap (with 13 errors), a third snap that is error free., if I update the second from the third will this clear any errors? Probably not as even as I say it, it sounds a bit stupid, so alternatively, do I simply "Remove Snapshot" if so does my third snapshot rename itself, or if I make a new one after removing the secondary is that automatically named a secondary, or if I want one named secondary do I have to rename one. I hope this makes sense, it looks a little like innane rambling.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

tradetime
    How did you track down that is was AntiVir guard? I ask as I am having a few problems myself with errors.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i turn off the Gard and it dint make any diferent same errors for me

7. tradetime

Hi stapp, simply elimination, I run a fairly minimal (compared to many) security setup, as far as realtime security is concerned. It seems FDISR is sensitive to security applications and at the time I had already disabled (termporarily) all but AntiVir Guard, so from an elimination process when I saw the errors it was the most obvious thing to suspend, I did so and copied another snapshot and it was error free.

8. tradetime

I will do another snapshot to see if the error free one was a fluke, (you have me worried now :eek: ) and report back.

9. Peter2150

Any security software that protects itself may prevent FDISR from copying files. I'd disable them when doing copies as well as defragging.

When I had Process Guard on my system even disabled it generated errors copying to archives. It was bye bye Process Guard.

Pete

10. tradetime

Ok messed up, but produced a better test by accident. Forgot to disable the AntiVir Guard and started a copy.
    Copied 6.09Gb Errors 16 30 minutes.
    Disabled the Guard and Copied 6.09Gb 27 minutes no errors

11. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

in my case avira have nothing to do Whit the errors, i just uninstall avira complete from my system reboot and copy/update after that same errors

12. tradetime

Ok, sadly I am new to this software and just learning it so I can't offer any more suggestions, but there are some very knowledgeable, helpful people here so best of luck.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Creating new snapshots/archives takes longer and it also depends on how fast your computer is.
    Once the snapshots/archives do exist, the update of snapshots/archives will be much faster.
    You can easily test this by installing any software in your primary snapshot and then do a copy/update FROM secondary snapshot TO primary snapshot and this will be alot faster. The software you installed will be gone in the primary snapshot. So you don't have to uninstall the software anymore and there are NO leftovers, because FDISR removes any trace. Add/Remove programs usually doesn't uninstall a software completely. Almost every software has a bad uninstaller and after awhile your computer is full of crap, especially your registry, but FDISR removes EVERYTHING.

Another thing to consider is anchoring the folder "My Documents", where all your personal data is stored.
    Anchored objects (folder or files) are NOT included in the snapshot and that reduces the space of your
    snapshots. Smaller snapshots means faster copy/updates.

If you don't anchor, your personal data is included in each snapshot and that requires of course more space
    and this volume will grow constantly, if you create new personal files regularly. If you have alot of graphical files, like movies, photos, etc. your volume will increase enormously and then your copy/update will take MUCH LONGER.
    Users often create another partition to store graphical files, I didn't understand this in the beginning, but since I'm editing movies myself, I understand why.

I don't have to anchor, because I moved all my data to another partition.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  14. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

no problem thanks anyway for you suggestion, lol I'm new Whit the software to

15. Peter2150

Mata what other security programs do you have on your system?

16. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

nothing more, i only use Avira AV PP, windows FireWall and NetGear NAT Firewall

17. tradetime

Is that a clean Vista install or an upgrade, upgrades often have hidden probs, otherwise maybe FD hasn't fully got to grips with Vista yet.

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Cristal clean, i think the problem is FD And Vista to

19. tradetime

Yeah I thought that might be the case, I thinks as Peter said in his first reply it may be worth asking Raxco and see what they can suggest.

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i did I'm working Whit then from yesterday sending info and replacing files, but nothing help, let see what happen tomorrow, i have to say they support is really good, even if the problem dont get fix and i cant keep using FD they let a good test on my for the future

21. Peter2150

You may have several back and forth exchanges, but they will stay with it until the problem is solved

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I can vouch for that Peter, I am currently being sent different copy engine files to test just like Mata7 is. Only difference is I don't have Vista.

It has made me SO aware of how much I depend on FD now that I am not doing any copy/updates (Raxco's instructions) until my problem is solved.

The level of support is extraordinary, what a great company.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I reported a problem to Raxco, that wasn't even my problem, that's how I got the latest build 202 of FDISR. :D

24. Peter2150

Boy, on both counts that is so true. If something doesn't play with FDISR, it is toast, Erik style.:D

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If it does turn out to be a software I use, or am trying out, that is the problem, it will cease to be a problem because it will be gone from my system as quick as lightning :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.