Error writing to disk during update

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Richard Perry, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Out of over 600 clients connected to my RAS, I have one in particular that refuses to update. I am getting the "Error writing to disk" message (Actually, it is "Error writting to disk." with 2 "t"s).

After following the other advice given both on these forums and from Eset tech support, I have verified the %tmp% and %temp% variables. I have comletely uninstalled (inclulding the Esetram files folder and Eset registry keys), and then reinstalled, I have tried updating from the internet and local LAN. I am completely out of ideas here. Any help?

Below is the event log from the RAC regarding this client.
    Column Name Value
    Event Id Event 66444
    Client Name Harangd
    Primary Server Updates
    Date 2005-09-09 18:36:43
    Received 2005-09-09 18:35:48
    Module Update
    Type Warning
    Event Update attempt failed (Error writting to disk.)
    Comment

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If this was a local standalone machine I would say make a Winsock Repair and also use the repair function within the Control Center.

There are some very knowledgeable Network Administrators amongst us, so I'm sure they will be able to advise you further.

Cheers :D

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried pointing both the user and system TEMP/TMP variables to c:\temp or c:\windows\temp? The folder must be created if not exists.

4. I did try a Winsock repair as I had this fix one other machine, but that did not do the trick.

I did not try redirecting the %tmp% or %temp% directories to other than Windows XP default. I can try this, but because this computer belongs to a student, I try not to change the environment very much. However, if someone can tell me that changing these variables to other locations has worked in the past, I will give that a shot.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It indeed has, seen it a few times with this recommendation from Marcos.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

6. I changed the variables to point to C:\Temp and made sure the directory allows everyone full control. I am able to create files and folders with no problem. NOD32 still won't update. Uninstalled, reinstalled, same issue. Any other ideas?

System information as follows:
    NOD32 antivirus system information
    Virus signature database version: 1.1138 (20050613)
    Dated: Monday, June 13, 2005
    Virus signature database build: 5746

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.015 (20050602)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1083
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.030 (20050419)
    Archive support module build version: 1117

Information about installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version: 2.50.25
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 446 MB
    Processor: Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz (2191 MHz)

7. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Make sure you have a folder called 'updfiles' in the eset directory. I've seen this a couple of times and it has always come down to the missing directory.

Richard

8. Just to bring closure to this topic, here is what finally happened. Although I had been looking at the user variables, I completely neglected the system variables, and therefore the system temp directory. I was only looking at "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp" and not "%windir%\Temp".

What I found in the system temp folder was a ton of files that I couldn't delete due to access denied. I finally deleted the entire temp folder, recreated it, and then was able to perform an update successfully.

Boy, all this time working in computers, and they still throw me a curveball every now and then!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.