Error with Snap Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kailasa108, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kailasa108

kailasa108 Registered Member

I'm running XP Pro SP2 w/ all updates, and TI10 build 4942.

I'm wondering if anyone had this problem with Snap Restore:
    I only use the Secure Zone, which is on a different HDD from my OS.

I've tried to use Snap Restore twice now, selecting my last differential b/up image from the standalone TI launched with the F11 button on reboot.
    Both times the restore failed with a message that said something like Boot Sector not available in image file.

If I do the traditional restore, everything works fine.

After reading all the problems with Snap Restore, I probably won't use it again, but I'm curious what this error is about in case I NEED to use Snap Restore sometime.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. kailasa108

kailasa108 Registered Member

I've read the documentation - I'm not quite sure if I understand the part on Snap Restore. Does it have a different criteria on what images it can use compared to a "traditional" restore?

If it makes a difference, I was using the standalone TI manager (through F11) to do this. Should I have done it while in Windows? Does that make a difference?

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You have chosen the best possible configuration for storing your backup archive images. Creating images HDD to a second internal HDD and restoring therefrom is the fastest and least problematical method.
    I have never used nor intend to use Snap Restore as I am quite content with the speed of a conventional restore using our configuration. I gather, from the experiences of others who have used Snap Restore, that there is a considerable impact on performance while it is running and that it continues to run in the background for a long time.

Being a bit of a minimalist I also do not use the F11 feature. My reasons being that it modifies the MBR which could have unwanted effects and it would not work anyway following a main HDD meltdown.

I use the Recovery CD to initiate all my restores and I run it in "safe" mode because restores from one internal HDD to another do not need any of the Linux USB drivers to be loaded.

Xpilot

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kailasa108,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please let us know the exact error message you have received?

Please note that in the current version of Acronis True Image the Acronis Snap Restore does not support images of Windows Vista. If any Vista edition is detected in an image, the Snap Restore option will not appear.

In addition, Acronis Snap Restore cannot be used if the image contains no operating system (a logical partition or disk image) or when restoring file archives.

Please also be aware that when performing Snap Restore, the current Acronis True Image always restores the entire system disk. Therefore, if your system disk consists of several partitions, all of them must be included in the image. Any partitions that are missing from the image will be lost.

The main goal of Acronis Snap Restore is to give you the ability to boot the operation system on a crashed computer before the system is completely restored from an image, and start work seconds after the restoration is launched. The restoration will continue in the background. You can find more information in chapter 3.6 "Acronis Snap Restore" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. farmerb

farmerb Registered Member

kailasa108,

I think I know where the problem is originating with your snap restore trouble. (However, I'm a relative newbie, so forgive me if I am wrong...)

I think when using snap restore, you have to select a full b/up image of your entire hdd.

Is your differential b/up a complete system backup or just files and settings etc?

It may also have something to do with having your ASZ on a different HDD, but again, I'm not entirley sure...

Just my 2 pence!

Let us know if you find out why it wouldnt work...

Ben.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.