error when installing

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ellison64, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im getting an error when trying to install looknstop on vista 32 laptop.No other firewall present and windows firewall off.I also disabled all other programes (exited them ) but still get the error.Ive also rightclicked the looknstop .exe file and run as administrator but same error.Also ive tried with 2.06 p4 from here and at the main site ,and the sizes are different and the names different toAny ideas?#tia
    ellison

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

There is an error in the registry which prevents the setup to install the application driver properly.
    It looks like there is no PNP_TDI entry (or a bad value type) in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GroupOrderList].

Could you check that ?

Frederic

3. ellison64

Heres the entry ..not sure if its the right value?

Attached Files:

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The entry type for PNP_TDI should be REG_BINARY like the other ones, and anyway the content is bad too...

Look for the same value into:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet1\Control\GroupOrderList
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet2\Control\GroupOrderList

maybe you will find a correct backup entry there you could export/reimport.

Another solution to get back a correct PNP_TDI value would be to use a restoration point.

Note: this entry is normally necessary to have the network working properly (independently of Look 'n' Stop setup).

Frederic

5. ellison64

Thanks Frederick.Ive imported settings from the g/fs laptop and things seem to be working ok now.One problem i now have is that my wireless printer is offline.I believe its because look nstop is monitorring just one network interface (my dell laptop).If i manually set it to monitor "network monitor" which i belive is my printer then it works.See pics.Any ideas how to monitor both interfaces?
    tia
    ellison

Attached Files:

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ellison,
    You are lucky this worked, because usually the content of this key is specific to each machine.
    If you have some other network issues in the future, it could come from that.
    No, it should not be the reason. When Look 'n' Stop doesn't monitor a network interface, this interface is allowed.
    This means actually, the other interface was the right one, but it needs to be configured (rule addition) to allow connections with your printer.
    Select again the wireless interface, and then look at the log to see what has been blocked, after you observe the printer is offline.

Regards,

Frederic

7. ellison64

Hi Frederick...
    Sorry for taking a while to reply.I decided to reinstall from my laptop image so that networking is ok.Everythings reinstalled and my registrys fine again.I have captured log that shows when i switch back to dell wireless and printer goes off.The two .exe logs at the bottom are when i choose network monitor interface ,and printers is working correctly.I then switched interface to dell wireless and the other logs appeared.Im not sure what rule to create or how to create it though?
    ellison

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ellison,

Did you just add a rule for port 161/snmp during that session ?
    It is strange there are some blocked packets on this port (alerts 141-144) and just after allowed packet on the same port (alerts 148-153 and 157-16:cool:.

The only other blocked packets are IGMP. I don't think the problem could come from these packets, but you may try to add a specific rule to allow IGMP to be sure.

Could you make also a screenshot of the ruleset ?

Thanks,

Frederic

9. ellison64

Hi Frederick...
    sorry about that ,i did try to create a rule to fix it but it didnt.Ive reloaded the enhanced rule ,and attached a pic showing log working on network monitor interface ,then blocked when i switch to dell wireless interface.Also if i exit looknstop printer works ,and when i restart i get the second log
    ellison

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

You did the right thing. It was correct to create a rule for port 161/snmp, since these packets are blocked and the application alert shows this port is used by the brother status monitor application.
    For the new rule, you don't need to select the log attribue. It's better to only show blocked packets.
    So, after adding the rule, you should no longer have alerts on packets with port 161/snmp in the log.
    If it still doesn't work, I guess only blocked IGMP will remain in the log. And you can try to add a rule for them (in the rule creation dialog box, just select "IP" for "Ethernet Type" and "IGMP" for Protocol). The packet have to be allowed, and no need to select the log. After that, the log should be clean.

Frederic

11. ellison64

Ive allowed udp 161 and igmp and it works but when i reboot the printers offline again.I have to switch interfaces to get it going again.It only works correctly after reboot if i untick all interfaces.I still get application popups that way but not sure whther internet filtering is on (although windows security centre says it is ).Not sure what to do here as this is too difficult for me to configure, and even after what i think is correct configuration ,a reboot still causes the printer to stay offline. :(
    ellison

Attached Files:

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ellison,

Is the log clean (no blocked packet) when you reboot and it doesn't work ?

If the answer is Yes, then maybe the problem comes from one of the following rules:
    - UDP Block WS-Discovery...
    - UDP Block LLMNR/5...
    - UDP Block UPnP/1900...
    You can try to have these rules allowing packets.

If the answer is No, what kind of packets are still blocked ?

Thanks,

Frederic

13. ellison64

Hi..
    Yes the log is empty after reboot.Ill try your suggestions
    thanks
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.