Error...trying to register spell-check

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by NormanS, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanS

NormanS Registered Member

THE PROBLEM:
    Upon attempting to run Spell Check while running Courier (an email program), a message pops up stating:

Name of Pop Up: {My Name} - Courier
    Message: ! An error occurred while trying to register spell-check. Location = 1548,Error = 126"
    Button Label: OK
    [the error message only has closing double quotes]

COMMENTS:
    1. I first became aware of the problem after deleting Courier's precursor program, Calypso. I suspect that Courier used Calyso's dictionary; in any event, I have since installed Courier's default dictionary, but it does not work.
    2. Following Courier's Help File instructions for PCs running Windows 2000 Pro, its Default Dictionary, AMERICAN.VTD, was placed at C:\WINNT\sys32.
    3. When Courier starts up, I see no interference on the part of Ghost Securities, yet I suspect that RegDefend is behind this problem.
    4. Within AppDefend the settings for Courier are no different from those of another email program, Thunderbird, that runs spell check without a problem.

HELP REQUEST:
    If RegDefend is the culprit, how do I solve the problem? Ghost Securities' Server is presently out of commission, so I have no access to the RegDefend Help file.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

With Ghost GUI open....select the Logs tab. Possibly there is an entry concerning an Action taken ?

Also....what RegDefend ruleset are you using....Default, Tony's, Roll your own ?

Bubba

3. NormanS

Thank you Bubba for your quick response.

The log file is quite long, but shows only five entries where the action taken was "Blocked set Value": one by winlogon.exe, three by explorer.exe, and one by ghostwall.exe. The corresponding Data 1 entries were as follows:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell folders;
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell folders;
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run;
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run;
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell folders.
    All five of these incidents occurred within eleven seconds.

The answer to your second question is YES, I use Tony as my default RegDefend ruleset.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Unless you have adjusted Tony's ruleset....I'm having a hard time being convenced RegDefend is part of the problem....much less Appdefend....considering the lact of any related Log entry. If anything....I would suggest dealing with the problem as if it might be AppDefend first and foremost. In fact....what if you temporarily unload App and Reg defend from starting on Windows boot....then re-boot....do you still have issues registering Spell-check ?

Bubba

5. NormanS

As I posted earlier -- but you won't find it because my post must have been eaten by cyber devils -- I did try to solve the problem by temporarily turning off RegDefend and AppDefend before re-trying to register spell-check, but that procedure did not help; the problem persisted.

Meanwhile, I have solved the problem by un-installing and then re-installing Courier.

Thanks again Bubba for your help in isolating the problem source.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's good to see and Thanks for letting us know how you resolved your problem :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.