Error trying to burn full back up to disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Smirnoff, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Registered Member

Version 9 (build 2273)
    Two questions:
    1. When I entered my 9th blank CD-R, I received an error, something like "cannot write data to disk, possible cause corrupt media....".
    When I try to check archive integrity, it keeps asking for the last volume (i.e. vol.9). Presumably there is a problem with this disk as I get the message "Drive D cannot be accessed".
    Is there a way that I can restart the back up and run it to where the vol.9 disk has to be entered again?

2. I thought that ATI automatically told you how many disks were required when backing up, it didn't tell me and I'm running out!

Thanks for your help.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You have chosen the most problematic way to do backups. And it is also the slowest and will be slow during a restore - if it does respond to the restore process.

Save yourself a lot of angst and invest in an external usb drive. These you can buy the drive and enclosure separately to save quite a few dollars. Actually about half the price of the "ready made" ones.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Didn't you have a chance to put in another new CD-R at that point in the backkup procedure?

I don't know of any way to do this. You have to repeat the whole backup since some files will have changed and the break to the 9th CD will be in a different place.

If at all possible, add a second internal hard drive, partition your internal hard drive or use a USB 2 hard drive as was suggested. You can then split the backup at 700MB and verify it on the hard drive. Then you can burn the 9 pieces to CD-R disks. If one is bad, you just burn that piece to another CD-R without repeating the backup.

4. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Registered Member

Thanks.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Smirnoff,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that it is not possible to proceed with the creation of image starting from the point when it has had failed. As jmk94903 has already pointed out, you should start the image creation process anew in this case.

Please also note that Acronis True Image should allow you to insert another disc if it considers the current one as a "non-writable" one.

I'm afraid that the current version of Acronis True Image does not show the amount of discs you will need to store the backup. However, it does show the backup archive estimated creation time and size in the 'Description' window under the Compression level section of the Backup Archive Creation options (see the screen shot below). Please note that these values are quite approximate and can in fact be a bit different when the actual image creation is performed.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Attached Files:

6. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Hi Smirnoff,

I just got true image 9 for the primary purpose of disc cloning to a new hard drive, with secondary being for back up software. And I might add I had some trepidation after reading a few of the posts at this forum. So before I tried to clone the hard drive using the demonstration free trial software, I attempted to back up my system. Using Acronis plus Nero InCd to format the DVDs and do the writing to DVD. First I started with My Documents which was 500 MB. That backed up quickly and efficiently. Then I attempted it with larger files like Windows folder (3.8 GB) and various other system related files separately totaling an additional 6 or 7 GB. I got nowhere, getting essentially the same message you did when it came time to insert a second DVD, or even during the first. Only mine was a message about "low quality media". Or sometimes I would get a message that there was information on the DVD, even though there wasn't. Anyway, bottom line was I just couldn't get it done. Since I wanted the backup before trying to change the hard drive, I attempted using the Nero "Back It up" software, but this took way over three hours. I basically gave up.

Anyway, I went ahead and did the disc cloning, which apparently went off without a hitch. Everything went real smooth, and I don't think the actual transfer of files took much over 30 minutes. Then everything booted right up and has worked beautifully as far as I can tell -- so far! So I went ahead and made the purchase Of True Image 9, and installed it over the free demo. Then out of curiosity I tried backing up the large files again. It worked beautifully (again, as far as I can tell, without having to test it with a restore). After the default compression (everything default), Windows backed up to one DVD, and the various system files that added up to 6 GB backed up to two DVDs. And neither one took over 30 minutes, which sure beats almost 4 hours! So I don't know if there was a problem with the old hard drive which was solved after cloning to the new hard drive, or there was a problem with the free trial software, or some other unknown factor. But it went from basically unusable for backup to working very smoothly after installation of the new hard drive plus a full paid version of version 9. Go figure. I have read the posts on here since then that this is the worst technique for backing up. So I may in the future try the "two-step" approach, or even purchase an external hard drive. But for now, the DVDs seem to be working okay. Good luck on figuring this out.
    Bill

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  7. data7

data7 Registered Member

Here is a link to the reviews for a 2.5" USB 2.0 disk drive at NewEgg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16822144344

Based upon all the favorable reviews of the WD Passport, it seems like it might be easier to use than the enclosure and 3.5" drive combination. However it is only 80 GB.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.