Error - Restoring from USB external drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Davaio, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davaio

Davaio Registered Member

Hi All

I chose Paragon DB 10 as I like the look of the wizards as I am a nb to this.
    I've had to reinstall windows xp on my laptop again which I do about every 18 months. Now I have a clean install, I seemed a good idea to created a whole C drive backup to a know location on a external usb drive. This i did successfully.

I thought it would be a good idea to test this to see if I can easily restore my c drive to its "original" install.

After following the wizard I was asked to reboot the laptop to enable the restoration to be carried out in DOS.

The system rebooted but unfortunately once the Paragon Restore software had started in DOS, It immediately says "error - can't open/create file"

I guess it cant read the file on the usb external drive.

Questions

Does the USB exteranl drive have to be clean B4 creating a back up on it?

Can a backup be restored from a known folder amongst other folders on an external drive?

Should the Paragon Restore DOS progarm be able to see and external usb drive?

thanks

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No, an arc image can be placed on a drive with other files and folders.

Yes.

The Dos program has limited support for usb drives.

However, if the program went into it's own "boot ime" mode - that isn't Dos. Safe Mode on the boot disc is Dos.

Not sure what happened there.

Did you try the boot cd - select Normal Mode (Linux) , and browse to the backup Image.

See if that does it.

3. Davaio

Davaio Registered Member

thanks for the reply

I tried booting from the recovery cd, selected normal mode which resulted in

"Ancient bootloader
    This kernel requires the folloowing features not present on the CPU: pae

Unable to boot. please use a kernal for your CPU."

joy!

I have a 1.6 Intel Centrino M
    win xp sp3

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Davaio,

The current boot disc has a new Linux kernel which supports ICH10.

Unfortunately, it won't load for quite a few people ( myself included). I have a decent machine that is only 18 months old - and the Linux cd doesn't work for me.

I am hoping for a new build soon.

Please send a support ticket - the more reports of this - the more urgently they will fix it.

In the meantime , you must get a boot disc that works for you.

I suggest you get the HDM9.5SE, which Paragon have been giving away - see posts 11&12 here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1560070#post1560070

Hope it helps

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.