Error replacing current file

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by wiremode, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiremode

wiremode Registered Member

Hi guys. :)

I'm new here and from Sweden so I might have some difficulties whit the language and spelling.

I run Windows XP SP2

Anyway, I really do need some help with my newly installed NOD32 v2.7. I can't update the latest virus definitions. In fact, I can't update at all. I just get a pop up message (in Swedish) that goes something like this "An error occurred during update of the program module. ( Error replacing current file.)"

I've unistalled both Norton and a trial version of NOD32 - "by the book."

I've looked into FAQ:s and other help sites and seen that the problem (or a similar one) is quite common. But I just can't figure it out - how to resolve it. o_O

Naturally I don't want my machine to be infected, so I really, really could use some help!

wiremode

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

3. wiremode

Thank's. :thumb:

I'll try that when I get home and get back to you with the result.

wiremode :)

4. wiremode

Hi HiTech_boy.

FYI my OS is on G:\ so I looked there for the folders, and yes they exits:

G:\WINDOWS\Temp
    G:\Documents and Settings\Henric Gänger\Lokala inställningar\Temp

(The WINDOWS Temp folder is empty and the other Temp folder contains several folders and files.)

Also the "Temp and TMP" folders exist in "Environmental Variables" and I can navigate to them in the "Show hidden files and folders" mode.

FYI I've also got these two user profiles wich I don't use. I don't know how they got there in the first place.

G:\Documents and Settings\Henric G@nger\Lokala inställningar
    G:\Documents and Settings\Henric Gnger\Lokala instllningar\Temp

and the G:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Lokala inställningar\Temp in "Show hidden files and folder" mode

Anyway, NOD32 still dosen't update. I get the same error message.
    Any suggestions?

wiremode :doubt:

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Please , check these

Check if your account have write access to the Temp folder , check for free disk space ...

Then download this tool , extract it and run it . It will redirect all the temp stuff to %windir%\Temp folder so that you need to only worry about its existing .

Make sure that you run with Administrator account!

Then , let us reinstall NOD32 with the latest version and perform some fixes

1) Download the latest fresh version of NOD32 v 2.7 for your operating system
    Trial version or Full paid version

2) Open Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot when prompt

4) After restart , go to C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

6) Install NOD32 from the file you downloaded in step 1
    Use "Typical" install

7) Make sure you have stable internet connection and NOD32 (nod32krn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall. Then Update NOD32 !

Good luck this time :thumb:

6. wiremode

Hi, again.

Got a silly question.

How do I check that my account have write access to the Temp folder?

Disc space is no problem.
    I'm running as Administrator.

I've downloaded settemp and the latest fresh version of NOD32 v 2.7 for XP, and standing by to execute the next steps. Just a little worried about the "write access" thing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please check that the following files exist:

C Drive> Windows> Temp

C Drive> Documents and Settings> (User Name) XXXXXX> Local Settings> Temp

Do the "Temp and TMP" folders exist in "Environmental Variables" when you right click on My Computer as per the screenshots found in this link? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=764434#post764434

When you then navigate to the folders mentioned in "Environmental Variables" are they actually there?

Sometimes the only method is to delete and reinstall the Temp folders.

You can also try running this file http://www.nod32.it/getfile.php?tool=settmp it will set both the user and system TEMP/TMP variables to c:\windows\temp. Just make sure the folder exists.

With Vista, you can also try turning off UAC in the Vista Control Panel.

NEXT, please check the Registry Permissions:

1. Click on Start

2. Click on Run

3. Type in regedit

4. Click on OK

5. Right Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

6. Click on Permissions

7. Click on Advanced

8. On the “Permissions” tab and make sure at the bottom of this window the following lines are ticked:

• Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.

• Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.

After the above, please try reinstalling a FRESH copy of NOD32.

Cheers :D

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@wiremode

The simpliest way to check is to see if you can save something new there ,access , edit , delete it from there.

Please ,run the settmp.zip , perform the regitry check part which Blackspear pointed you to and go ahead to install NOD32 :thumb:

9. wiremode

Hi.

Ran settmp, and performed the regitry check part which Blackspear pointed me, step 1-8. When I ticked both boxes (see quote)...

... and then clicked ok I got this error message after a while:

Error H-Key.jpg

It's something like this in english: "Could not state security for the indicated key or for some of the sub keys".

The first box was already ticked when I got ther, but after this message I couldn't manage to tick any of the boxes. So I left both boxes blank.

Then I installed a fresh NOD32 and tried to upload and - HEUREKA! It works!

So now NOD32 is running smoothly for the moment, wit the latest upload 20071025 and I do hope I didn't mess anything during the regedit part.

Thank's for all the help and please get back to me if some of my earlier moves have to be corrected.

I'm really greatful!

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Test with Eicar test file from www.eicar.org

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You are welcome.

Keep an eye on it and make sure you are receiving regular automatic updates.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.