Error removing USB devices after cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by madmike73, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmike73

madmike73 Registered Member

About two months ago I cloned my hard drive to a new larger Seagate drive using Seagate Discwizard (which says it is "powered by Acronis" and looks just like Acronis TI. I may have made a mistake because I did not reboot after the clone, I just powered off and swapped in the new "cloned" drive. Now when I remove a USB device (my clone was to a USB device) it seems to work except I get an error message that says: An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll". This is the only problem I seem to have. I am posting this to the Acronis forum for help because the Seagate Discwizard documentation and operation look just like Acronis TI. I have seen another post in the Microsoft forums where someone seems to have the identical problem: http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I would try a repair install of Windows. This can be done without losing any of your installed programs or data.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Does this happen when you stop the USB drive with the System tray applet before removing it?

4. madmike73

madmike73 Registered Member

This was happening after I opened the "Safely Remove Hardware" box from the system tray applet and then selected stop to remove the device. The device seemed to stop okay (my thumb drive has a lighted end and it turns off when the device is removed) and then the error occurred.

I took DwnNdrty's suggestion and did a repair install of Windows XP last night and it has fixed the problem. It was not an easy solution since my system was XP SP2 and my disk was XP SP1a. I had to build a new disk that included SP2 and use it to do the repair install.

It was a little like killing a gnat with a sledge hammer, but it worked. Thanks for the suggestion DwnNdrty, I had not thought of trying that.

Mike

5. DwnNdrty

Glad to hear it worked .... sometimes you do have to take a 10lb hammer to it. :D :D

6. sdrake

sdrake Registered Member

I have the same trouble cloning XP SP2 using True Image 11 Build 8027. I did not have this trouble with True Image 6 through 9. A repair installation of XP SP2 should not be necessary. True Image 11 should be corrected to eliminate this problem.

7. cammy

cammy Registered Member

I have the same problem. I restored an image to a new disk using ATI Home 11 and now right clicking the safely remove icon in the icon tray and selecting "safely remove hardware" ( which normally brings up a window ) results in the the crash. However, left clicking and choosing to "safely remove" a particular drive works fine.

It was about a week ago that I noticed this and played around with it. I believe
    it was hotplug.dll, which was having trouble.

I am not about to do a repair install over this. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sounds like a bug that should be rpeorted to TEch Support so that they can be aware of it and, hopefully, recode to solve the problem in the next release of ATI 11.

A little more research and the "Safely Remove Hardware" "Shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" issue appears to maybe be something from recent Micorsoft Update downloads. On all the machines where we've seen it, that's the only thing hey have in common that's changed since it showed up.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  9. cammy

cammy Registered Member

I highly doubt this is a microsoft update problem. It first appeared a little over a week ago, immediately after restoring a disk. Furthermore, I have automatic updates turned off. I get my updates once a month - got one yesterday and a month before yesterday. So given the timing, I cant see how it could be an update problem.

10. shieber

Well, I gues there's more than one thing causing the prob since the machines here dont' have ATI 11 on them.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello madmike73 and cammy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we have not heard about such problems of Acronis True Image 11 Home before and so we would like to investigate this one with your assistance, if you have time for this of course. Could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post on a system without the problem. Then please reproduce the problem and collect the Acronis Report and Windows System Information again (with the external drive connected). Please also create a screenshot of the error message.

Please also clarify (if possible), does the error only occurs when removing the cloned/restored drive, or any external drive after one drive was cloned/restored?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. Our Expert Team will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. Clive Rahn

Clive Rahn Registered Member

I am having the same problem and I used PowerMax 4 with two Maxtor Disks. Any idease on the cause of the problem and how to solve it.

Clive

13. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I’m seeing the same thing using Win XP Home, SP2 and TI-11 Home. This occurs without having cloned a drive. I may have installed an image (.tib file) however.

14. Clive Rahn

Clive Rahn Registered Member

If I want to solve the problem using a repair disk how do I make up a cd that includes "SP2" as I am in the same position as madmike but need some simple instructions to make the SP2 CD to boot and repair from.

Thanks in anticipation

Clive

15. DwnNdrty

If you have a separate Sp2 CD then you have to slipstream it into your Windows XP cd. The process will create a new Windows XP cd with Sp 2. Check Google for Slipstreaming or Slipstream.

16. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

17. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Update to this issue where if you right-click the USB icon in the system tray and open the Safely Remove Hardware button then select Stop then Close then OK, you receive the RUNDLL error [An exception occurred while trying to run “shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll”].

Having received this error I decided to check some things out. Running WinXP Home SP2 with all MS Express High-Priority updates dated and installed 10/9/2007 and True Image Home 11, build 8027 this error was occurring.

Note that Microsoft updates were installed 9/11/2007 and 10/9/2007.

Installed previous TI-11 image of 10/8/2007 and still had the error.
    Ran check disk (chkdsk c: /r) which did not help.

Installed an older TI-10 image of 9/17/2007 as a test. This was after the Microsoft updates of 9/11/2007. This corrected the problem. I then did the MS updates of 10/9/2007 and still no error.

My Conclusions

The Microsoft updates do not create a problem with True Image 10, the latest build.

Is there a conflict with True Image 11 – perhaps.

Could something else be going on? Of course.

For now I will stay with TI-10.

Bruce

18. shieber

The prob showed up on some of our machines which do not have ATI 11 (we pulled it from all our machines), so I have doubted that it is a prob with having ATI 11 on the machine -- unless having once installed ATI 11 caused some kind of permanent damage to windows -- a definite possibility.

19. Biker

Biker Registered Member

I run ATI 11 and also have this error (though not after cloning), plus I've been in contact with another ATI 11 user who has posted a query on one of the Microsoft forums ...

link to thread

I am AllanJ on that thread (it seems there's another Allanj here because that name was denied me when I tried to use it to register).

I mailed Acronis a few days ago about the problems I'm experiencing but have yet to hear from them - they're taking their time, not sure what that means because they've always been quick to respond in the past.

OK, can you tell me how this is done please?

:)

20. shieber

A repair install of windows, even if you slipstream sp2 onto the install disk, is a last desparate measure since you have to rerun all of the updates since sp2 was released if you want your OS up to date. That's a lot of updates, many requiring reboot before you can proceed with further updates. Get a pot of decaf started, find a good book, and get ready for along ride.

Ironically, the likely thing is that one single file or one single registry entry gets screwed up if you install ATI 11 and it remains screwed up even if you do a through scrub to uninstall ATI 11. If only someone found out what that one thing is . . .

21. Biker

Biker Registered Member

Yes yes, but how do you get the repair install going? Do you just go through the install as normal - but opt for "retain existing file structure" when asked for destination and format options?

If so then I tried that but, while retaining everything like working profiles of other users, it set up a new blank profile for the admin account, which I found less than useful - so reverted to the last good backup.

<edit> I just found the repair install info on the "Before you post" thread - guess I should have read that before I posted! </edit>

While on the subject of last good backups I have found that 3 out of the 4 full drive-image backups I've done using ATI 11 have failed (they were carried out in fairly quick succession while I was doing a complete rebuild). All 4 check out ok when validating from windows but not when running ATI from the boot disk - where only the most recent runs ok, the earlier ones hanging almost immediately after the pre-validation process is started (if running without pre-validation then the restore hangs immediately after the target partitions have been erased :rolleyes: ).

As I said on the Microsoft forum, I've reported all this to Acronis but have yet to hear from them. Any ideas from you guys would be most welcome - because all this aggravation is making me want to open a vein.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  22. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Biker, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

23. Biker

Biker Registered Member

Hi Alexey

It's #1181116.

I've had 2 responses since I last posted - both asking me to download the latest ISO image: "Please note that in our last message we have provided you with our latest version of Acronis True Image 11.0 Home Bootable Media. Please note that each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc. Please try to use the latest ISO image."

To which I most recently responded: "Over the last week I have downloaded the ISO image 3 times and burned each image to separate disks. They all seem exactly the same to me. Has it changed again?"

I added that I was running out of patience :)

24. Acronis Support

Hello all

Biker, I've checked this support case and found that you've been provided with updated version of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. You can check it by yourself - please look at numbers in the filenames of provided ISO images - it's 8048 instead of 8035.

Please burn Acronis Bootable Rescue Media from this ISO image, check the functionality and provide our Support Team with results if the issue is not fixed.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

25. Biker

Biker Registered Member

Thanks Michael

Right, I have 8035. Will download 8048 and give it another go.

I already managed to get rid of the "Safely Remove Hardware" problem by running Windows XP Upgrade/Repair - just finished the procedure a few minutes ago. I still have some drivers and other bits and pieces to reinstall but so far it's looking good. (I have my fingers tightly crossed because it's been a monumental PITA trying to get this sorted out.)

And we'll see if the new ABRM has any effect on my non-restorable backups.

I'll keep you posted.

Allan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.