Error reading file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Staudie, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Staudie

Staudie Registered Member

Im gettting an error when backing up: (It happens on several files)

Error Reading the File (0x40001)
    Tag=0X61F188FE
    50B0A2F (0x1003EB)
    Tag=0x14181022EF 45AC01
    Retry/Ignore/Canel

Ive run "chkdsk /r", "verified" the raid, and run the driver tools from Seagate. All of which dont show any errors.

Any idea as to what may be causing thiso_O Oh and I have updated to the latest release.

The sytems is a Dell 670 running a RAID 1 (2 500gig Seagates) on WinXP64.

Thanks,
    -Staudie

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

You may want to try the following: -

1. Set the backup to the slowest speed and see if the problem goes away

2. Disconnect from the Internet, and then disable your AV and Firewall

T.

3. Staudie

Ive tried the AV before and it didnt make a differance.... as for the firewall, Im not sure all of the files are local but Ill give it shot. Ill chekc into slow the back speed... Im not sure were that is.

Thanks,
    -Staudie

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Backup speed is set in "Setting Backup Options". Set the "Backup Priority" to Low, this will ensure that the backup is created using the slowest speed. The actual speed depends on your CPU, RAM and other factors.

But give it a try and see if it helps...

T.

5. Staudie

Setting it to slow didnt work. I have to wait until tonight to try the internet disconnect.

-Staudie

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Staudie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please clarify, what version of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.
    Please also try performing the operation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and see if it succeedes.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. Staudie

Sorry I did forget to mention that:

Acronis True Image Workstation w/ Acronis Universal Restore version 9.1 build 3,887

Running on a Dell 670, 500gig RAID 1, WinXP64

Let me know if you need more information

-Staudie

8. Francois Cleroux

Francois Cleroux Registered Member

I am running Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 with current updates and I receive the same error; Error reading the file. (0x40001).

I have found that on occasion (Not all the time) that if I run a file backup from a clean boot that it works more often (but not always).

My system is a new high end custom build that has not show ANY other problems.

Did you ever get this error resolved??

9. robinh

robinh Registered Member

I too get this error "Error reading the file. (0x40001)" - 15 files (of thousands) had this error! Is this a CRC problem, a permissions problem or what?

This was my first full backup of c:\users\*.

These errors stall the backup process and had to push the pop-up "ignore" to complete the backup. A backup file of 30Gb was created with all but these 15 files / folders.

Looking at the log, I see that I pushed the retry option ten times on the first but still got the same error. Finally I pushed ignore. On the next two errors I retried twice and then did ignore. On all subsequent I pushed cancel. Some errors were jpg files in the same directory but others were not. Some were files and some were folders.

A typical error message is:

<event code="1" id="5" level="4" message="Failed to backup file or folder 'C:\Users\Robin\Archive\My old computer documents backup from f colon\My Pictures\Photos 2006\5 Spain March 2006\IMG_0650.JPG'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0AF4
    (0x1003EB)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC01: Retry/Ignore/Cancel" module="4" time="1185677067" />

In the last error the log lists the folder name incorrectly.
    The folder is:
    'C:\Users\Robin\Computers & Network'
    The log lists:
    'C:\Users\Robin\Computers &amp; Network'
    The last error was the folder 'C:\Users\Robin\Contacts' - a Windows-generated folder.

Most errors were in subdirectories of directory 'C:\Users\Robin\Archive\My old computer documents backup from f colon\' but others were not. This gives a fairly long pathname (around 150 chars) but well under 250. Many peer files were handled without errors. I can look at any of them with image viewers.

The problem seems not to be a timing or network problem as the retries show the error can be repeated ten times.

I am using Windows Vista on a fast new dual core Pentium with 2Gb of memory. I am backing up onto a new XPSP2 workgroup server. I am using True Image Home 10.0 build 4,492.

I am also doing an incremental sector method backup daily with no errors, but it generates 5Gb daily! So I need more focussed file backup and that is where I have this problem.

Some were files and some were folders.

What is the problem?

Suggested change to the program:
    It seems to me that the True Image 10 'Default backup options' should have another category 'Error handling' with an option:
    either 'On error - prompt user'
    or 'Do not prompt user - Log all errors and continue'
    and would report final status 'Backup completed with omissions - see log'. This would work quite well for full backups allowing most files to be backed up with those that are not being logged. It would work less well for incremental backups where correctly backed up files might be deleted.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  10. jnieurzyla

jnieurzyla Registered Member

Robin
    You are not the only one suffering this problem, it has been ongoing for months, if you do search within the forum you will found others with the same problem. Disconnecting the virus/firewall and internet is not an option when systems using this program are remote.
    It is very frustrating and I know the developers are aware of this and other problems which have not been cleared since I started using this program in version 7. ie. when doing back ups to the another hard, why not self deleting the oldest files so the system runs continously with out us having the manually delete to make space on the back up drives. But obvioulsy they have reasons, but do not disclose them to us, and its keeps this forum active. :)
    John

11. Acronis Support

Hello robinh,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. tom_sm

tom_sm Registered Member

Hi,
    I get the same error (0x40001) when I want to create a full backup of the mDaemon folder (mailserver) to a local network drive.
    When I perform the same operation to a local drive, everything is ok.

I have the latest version of ATI Workstation on WinXP Pro and I have performed a checkdisk.

Updating snapAPI.dll does not help.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  13. Acronis Support

Hello tom_sm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that most likely the backup was created successfully, and the failure occurs on the validation step. Please try removing the "validate archive after creation" checkmark and see if the error message disappears. If that's the case, to make sure the backup is not corrupted you can copy it to local drive and validate there.

If the problem remains, please try limiting network speed in Backup Options.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please do the following:

- Run "regedit" command (Start -> Run);
    - Find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters registry key;
    - Increase the IRPStackSize value or create it and set to 18, if it does not exist.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also describe your network configuration in details (where is Acronis True Image installed; where are the folders to be backed up stored; where are you directing the backup to).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. krobibero

krobibero Registered Member

I've been using Acronis True Image v10 for a while and the day after I installed McAfee SecuritySuite 2007 I started getting these errors.

I'll bet that there is a relationship between the two.

What Antivirus are you running?

15. isd

isd Registered Member

I have the same problem with the Read-File-Error (0x40001).
    Sometimes a backup is finished without any errors and the next day i got the read-error again. The error occurs on different files every time - never the same files.
    Wen I try to open such a file, everything is fine.
    CHKDSK etc. also fine.

Has anyone solved this problemo_O
    How can I auto-reply to this annoying read-errors.
    These erros stop the backup-process evry time :-(

I habe Acronis True Image Home 10 Build 4.942 on Win XP SP2

16. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Norton used to be infamous for setting the IRPStacksize too low. Perhaps McAfee is doing that also.

See Marat's Aug. 8, 2007 post on this.

17. Acronis Support

Hello isd,

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Acronis True Image 10.0 Home does not have an option to autoreply disk read errors.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

18. bluesmith

bluesmith Registered Member

I'm using ATI 10 and after appyling the updated drivers, I still get the same error. The priority for my backup was already set to LOW. I have NO COMPRESSION. Using Win XP, SP2. Same problem if I try right after rebooting the PC. Doesn't matter if I disable antivirus; I dont have any software firewall.
    This is pathetic that so many people have this issue for so long and support has not been able to resolve it.

19. Acronis Support

Hello all,

bluesmith, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.