ERROR: Partition configuration has changed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wtht, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtht

wtht Registered Member

Hi,

following message appears when I'm trying to make a disc clone to an external USB drive with ti8: ERROR: Partition configuration has changed.
    This happens after the boot process. Last console output: 'checking partitions:'
    I tryed several discs and usb disc cases without any success.
    Cloning via firewire works fine.
    Any solution?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wtht,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem persists please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. Please note that your external USB HDD should be connected to the computer and powered.

Please include the reference to this thread in your request.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. odoyle

odoyle Guest

I am also having the exact same problem with an external USB drive... can you offer some solutions instead of telling me to submit a bug report -- that doesn't help me.

I believe this error results if you close/access anything on the current hard drive you are running AFTER trueimage has locked the partitions and is about to reboot to perform the clone operation. Any thoughts?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As an aside, why are you cloning your drive to the USB drive instead of just making an image on the USBV drive?

5. waltervahey

waltervahey Registered Member

I am having the same problem. I am trying to move from a 40GB to a 60GB drive on a Dell Latitude D600. The destination drive is currently configured as a usb drive.

Can Acronis support help with this?

following message appears when I'm trying to make a disc clone to an external USB drive with ti8: ERROR: Partition configuration has changed.
    This happens after the boot process. Last console output: 'checking partitions:'

Thanks

6. Mumbly Joe

Mumbly Joe Registered Member

I was having the same problem today when attempting to clone a drive using the automatic option. I was able to successfully clone to a drive in an external enclosure when utilizing the manual option.

I hope this works for everyone else.

Regards,

7. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Could you please send us the dignostics Andrew has mentioned above? This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly and provide you with the solution. Please indicate in the letter that you use the latest (800) build of Acronis True Image (please download it from http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/ if you haven't yet).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Mitch

Mitch Guest

Re: ERROR: Partition configuration has changed [A SOLUTION]

Found this thread while Googling to find a solution to the exact same cloning error. I'm running True Image 7.0/Build 638/WinXP SP1.

My solution: boot True Image from a rescue CD (Tools-Create Bootable Rescue Media // make sure you do the "full" version, which includes support for USB external drives). That solved not only the "ERROR: partition configuration has changed" problem, but also another problem, where I was unable to even do a restore operation from one external USB drive to another external USB drive.

I'm satisfied with this workaround as it seems cleaner to create clones and restores when the OS isn't running.

Note: I have no affiliation with Acronis, other than being a customer for True Image. Posting this info for others who might find it useful. I'm running True Image 7.0, not 8.0, but I'm guessing this will work for 8.0 too.

Mitch

9. Acronis Support

Hello bimmer95,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please tell what error you got when creating Acronis Bootable CD? Also please let us know what build of Acronis True Image you used? What operating system do you have? This information will allow us to investigate the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. WaauBau

WaauBau Guest

I did get this error First time i tried to Clone my 80GB Toshiba to my 80 GB WD Scorpio (This was with True Image 8.0)

So i thought that something strange was going on and Downloaded
    True Image Corporate Workstation Trial and it worked to get the disk cloned :... BUT it took very looooooong time :(

Then i tried again doing a Disaster Recovery CD of True Image 8.0
    and that worked fine also ....... BUT took long time 2. :(

All in all good product :) Much better than Symantec GHOST.

Easy to handle.

11. Acronis Support

Hello WaauBau,

Could you please provide me with the following information?

- What exact error message have you received?

- What type of connection you use to connect your hard drives to PC?

- How much time does the disk cloning process take?

- Find the full version name and build number as it is shown at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/ and let me know it.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. NewUser38

NewUser38 Guest

Hello,

I recently downloaded a trial version of True Image 8.0, build 937, and encountered the same error when attempting to clone my notebook's hard drive to a USB/enclosure-attached drive.

Another error I encountered is that my (FULL) recovery disk will not boot (it stays in "loading please wait" mode indefinitely) if my USB drive is plugged in. If it's not plugged in, it will load; but that doesn't help since it then doesn't recognize the USB drive when I plug it in.

I am using an Oker USB enclosure and a Samsung 80GB MP0804H hard drive.

I've run the reporting utility, and will shortly be sending the results to Acronis by email.

13. Acronis Support

Hello NewUser38,

What concerns the disk cloning problem. Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

Please also check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives;

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then enable logging by running the installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

As for the problem with Bootable Rescue CD. I would recommend you to try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 8.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy;
    - Rename the report created from under Windows to report_win.txt and report created using the bootabale floppy to report_diskette.txt.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating reports and Linux system information.

Send all the collected files and information to support@acronis.com along with the exact model of your external USB hard drive\enclosure and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  14. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Acronis support has been very good to me and many others. Have you did what they requested and used the utility mentioned and submitted the report to them? If this is the case please post back here and I am sure it will get handled.

Thanks,

Chris

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Generalized rants removed; anyone with a legitimate support issue feel free to start a thread addressing it.

16. WuzaWuza

WuzaWuza Registered Member

I had the same problem and error message for an internal hard drive. Drove me crazy. During numerous tries I downloaded TI 9's new drivers and installed them.

After installing the drivers I decided to reapir my windows XP and booted it's CD up doing a repair of my install. Once done I again tried the Disk Clone :eek: About fell off my chair, it ran perfectly in the automatic mode and cloned my 80GB Maxtor to my new 80GB WD hard drive in 55 minutes :D I had to look in the case twice to be sure the old drive was indeed out and the new running ;)

So my dark gumblings have turned to praise of Acronis and True Image 9. A greatr program and utility. It may be sensitive to windows errors, try a repair before using it again, worked for me.

WuzaWuza

17. WuzaWuza

WuzaWuza Registered Member

My, fingers still can't type though

dark grumblings lol.

WuzaWuza

18. rcm60ht

rcm60ht Guest

I had this same problem with a Tecra M4 notebook trying to upgrade a 60GB SATA Drive to an 80 GB Sata Drive contained in an USB Sata enclosure using Version 9 I had just purchased and downloaded a week before. One of the things I noticed were the drives were reported as IDE drives. Anyway, I tried chkdsk /r and doing it manually and neither worked. I finally got it to work by formatting the destination drive and then used Automatic mode to clone. When it asked me to destroy the data on the destination disk I said yes and the thing worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.