Error occured while scanning MBR sector

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CatThief, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatThief

CatThief Registered Member

I'm using NOD32 version 2 for WinXP with v.1.548 (20031031) virus signatures. When I run nod32.exe to scan any portion of my hard drive, the following message appears at the start of the scan:

"Error occured while scanning MBR sector of the 1. physical disk. Error reading sector."

I mainly use WinXP, but my system is set up to multi-boot to XP or Win98. I also have Linux installed, but nothing is written to the MBR, and GRUB is written to the boot sector of the Linux partition... NOT to any Windows partitions.

Could it be that NOD32 is detecting something in the MBR that belongs to Win98 and therefore not native to XP? That is all I can come up with. Any help is appreciated.

Many regards,
    CatThief

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi CatThief

If you perform a search for 'MBR' within the 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' you'll find quite a few posts on this topic. The gist of most of them is that it's nothing to worry about, but I'll stop short of assuming this in your case since your setup is way over my head (dual boot w/linux).

Regards
    Optigrab

3. CatThief

CatThief Registered Member

Thanks, Optigrab,

I searched the forum as suggested and found some good information regarding NOD32 on an NT-based system. (I should have done that in the first place, duh.)

In the meantime, though, something very peculiar happened. I don't get the error anymore which has me completely baffled since nothing at all has changed with my system or with my NOD32 scanning options since the last scanning attempt. I will, however, keep my eyes on this.

Many thanks for your help,
    CatThief

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.