Error messages in update events

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Nunes, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

Occasionally in automatic updates the event log has these two messages:

Update attempt failed (server connection failure)

or

Function:gethostbyname, parameters: , return value: 11001

What do they mean (at least the second one)?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you have a wireless connection for your Internet?

Cheers :D

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

There was a problem connecting to an Eset update server. This can be for several reasons... internet trouble, overloaded update server, etc. When this happens, NOD32 will try another server.

There was a trouble in the DNS lookup that translates a ".com" address (u8.eset.com) to a numerical IP address (209.200.224.54). This is usually temporary, caused by a busy DNS server or a bad internet connection.

Basically, both of these errors are the equivalent of typing a good web address into a web browser and not being able to connect, getting a "cannot connect" error message instead. They are usually temporary. Whenever this does happen, NOD32 will simply try the next update server on its list.

Note that if the connection to the second server is successful, you usually do not receive a "yes, I connected" message unless an actual update was performed. This often causes confusion, because most people see the first "bad" connection, but never the second "good" connection right after it.

4. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

I don't have a wireless connection but a cable one.

Anyway thanks for the explanations of alglove mainly about the second message that I was not understanding until now.

In fact I usually don't have problems updating but the last few days this kind of messages increased in number.

I really don't think this is an issue because if I detect that a new update is available and I don't have it yet I update manually and I never had problems in this kind of update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.