Error message in DOS; can't read from disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by videobruce, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videobruce

videobruce Registered Member

Error message in DOS; "failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"

I get this message;
    "failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"
    that I have to click 'ignore' 8 times when I try to use the DOS reboot version (loaded from Windows, then rebooted to restore a image on a active partition). After that, the programs runs fine with no errors. I'm checking the drives with their own unilities for errors from each manufacture and both drives passed doing the extended tests (one WD and the other Maxtor).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: Error message in DOS; "failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"

Hello videobruce,

Sounds as if you have an empty flash card reader/writer installed. Stick a memory card in it and try again.

By the way, when you rebooted to restore an image you entered a Linux based environment (same as booting from a "Full" version of the recue CD) not DOS.

Regards

3. videobruce

Yes I do. It is a 8 in 1 reader with 4 slots. It shows as 4 drive letters, but not C,D,E,F but I,J,K,L in Windows. G & H are CD drives. Why is it even seen when drive 0 should be 'C'?
    Linux on a M$ based system? Groovy.....:eek:

Since you brought that up, can that full rescue CD be used in any system other that the one where it was burned even if it is another O/S (2k for example)? IOW's I don't have to install the program on every box, just use a bootable rescue CD to do the backups/restores?

4. Menorcaman

Don't know why - it just does!!

Yes but have a read of your Acronis End User Licence to make sure you're not doing something you shouldn't. The boot rescue CD is not machine specific but it does reflects the build standard of TI that it was created from. Therefore, in order to ensure the rescue CD contains the latest bug fixes and Linux device drivers, it's strongly recommended that you create a new one for each update to TI. Note that newer builds are backward compatible with older image files.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello videobruce,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Acronis Bootable CD is build-specific, not system-specific. It means that it should work on any computer. Please note that Acronis Bootable Media is a part of the software and according to End-User License Agreement, you are not allowed to use single license of Acronis True Image on more than a single computer.

The difference in letters may occur due to different algorythms used by Windows and Linux in letter assingment. I can recommend that you label each of your partitions since Acronis True Image will always show you the labels.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. videobruce

AS long it was the same version of TI, it doesn't matter what O/S or machine it is used on?

7. Menorcaman

Strictly speaking you don't even need a copy of TI installed on the other machines in order carry out the restore. However, please note Ilya's confirmation of the licencing issue.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.