Error installing Private Firewall in Vista 32

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have a laptop I want to install PFW on but keep getting install errors (Install Error 0x80170002). I have tried running it as admin. Have disable Avast. Put an exclusion to it in Avast, but it keeps coming up with the same error.

Can someone help please.

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I don't know if it is the same with Vista, but with XP the developer advised that I install PFW 1st then the AV.

3. vojta

vojta Registered Member

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I am running avast 8 on an XP desktop w/PFW, and avast 9.0.2003 on a Win7 desktop w/PFW without issue. So any conflicts between the two would be reflective of the individual's pc configuration, and or, other variables. On both PCs the firewall was installed 1st, followed by the AV.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I am running it ok on my win 8 desktop m/c. I'll have to try some alternatives for the laptop

6. TOADFROG

TOADFROG Registered Member

With my Win7 laptop I installed the update without uninstalling the prior version..no problems seen. With an XP desktop, I uninstalled the prior version and got the "install error 0x80170002" A reinstallatin attempt produced the same result. I uninstalled the new version then reinstalled the 7.0.29.1 vers, importing the settings that were exported prior to the uninstall. So far it seems to be working but, if I stop there, I'll have to put up with the download nags when PFW starts up. ...So [I'm writing this as I'm doing it], I exited PFW and installed the newest verion over top of it...contrary to instructions. When I opened PFW, it was the new version and all looks ok. When I restarted the PC, I got a request to ok a setting...so perhaps the settings didn't transfer perfectly. There was no update nag.
    Avast and PFW have been playing nicely together on multiple XP PC's and 2 win7 PC's...one of which has the overwritten 7.030.2 new version mentioned above.
    So my experience indicates less problems installing 7.030.2 update over 7.0.29.1 vers without uninstalling as directions indicate [close it during install, export settings and do system restore points prior to]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.