Error in update cannot uninstall or install newer version

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JackSun, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackSun

JackSun Registered Member

I have a major problem with Eset Smart Security 4 ver 4.2.64.12.

Signature Database 5800 last update 19 Jan 2011.
    Running on Window 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

Since the last update it started giving me an error saying it could not create temporary file during the signature update.

I downlaoded the 4.2.67 release and tried to install that over the top of my current version and I get the following error

Error getting file security C:\ProgramData\Eset\Eset Smart Security\logs\escan\GetLastError 5 (I am logged in as Admin)

The install then rolls back and says it's failed and I have to restart Windows.

I then thought maybe I should try uninstalling the current version first.

I looked in the Control Panel \ Programs and features to try and uninstall but it doesn't appear in the list.
    I have the Uninstall option in the All Programs\ Eset menu but when I try and run that it says that "this action is only valid for programs that are currently installed".

My eset still appears to be running in the system tray and I can access the GUI and run a scan etc...

I am also getting an error when I start my Thunderbird Email client. It say anti spam module cannot initialise.

So, I am now stuck, I can't uninstall the current version which is not working correctly and I cannot install the newer version as it gives the error I detailed above.

Anyone able to help please?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. JackSun

Thanks for prompt reply.

I have now manged to uninstall Smart Security with the uninstaller you suggested.

But I can't reinstall any version of it now I get an error saying it can't create a folder in C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

The installer then just exits.

I also tried the suggestion in the link you sent about uninstalling the ehdrv.sys but I dont have that file or the option in Device manager that is mentioned.

I will have to run a free AV program until I can get this sorted out.

Any more Ideas?

4. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello JackSun
    This might be a wild-goose chase I am on, but do you have any other security software installed on your system. Why I ask is that, it could seem that you have escan installed.
    You wrote: C:\ProgramData\Eset\Eset SmartSecurity\logs\escan\GetLastError 5. (if I remember corretly GetLastErro 5 means a program error. Which means again... a corrupted program, or driver loaded in the background.)
    If i am right in this please uninstall escan, and afterwards install Eset.
    Best Regards

Woodgiant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  5. JackSun

Thanks for replies guys. I have now solved the issue.

Woodgiant - No I didn't have any other security software so I'm not sure why it was giving that error.

I solved it by using Windows system restore, had to go back 5 days to get one that worked.
    I can only assume it was a Windows update that caused the error as all the retore points I've had in the past few weeks have been the ones created automatically before it does an update. I haven't installed anything new since Dec 2010.

I have now done a clean install of 4.2.67 and it seems to be working fine.

6. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello JackSun

That is nice to hear , have a good week-end, and thanks for posting back.
    Best Regards
    Woodgiant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.