Error in update cannot uninstall or install newer version

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JackSun, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackSun

JackSun Registered Member

I have a major problem with Eset Smart Security 4 ver 4.2.64.12.

Signature Database 5800 last update 19 Jan 2011.
    Running on Window 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

Since the last update it started giving me an error saying it could not create temporary file during the signature update.

I downlaoded the 4.2.67 release and tried to install that over the top of my current version and I get the following error

Error getting file security C:\ProgramData\Eset\Eset Smart Security\logs\escan\GetLastError 5 (I am logged in as Admin)

The install then rolls back and says it's failed and I have to restart Windows.

I then thought maybe I should try uninstalling the current version first.

I looked in the Control Panel \ Programs and features to try and uninstall but it doesn't appear in the list.
    I have the Uninstall option in the All Programs\ Eset menu but when I try and run that it says that "this action is only valid for programs that are currently installed".

My eset still appears to be running in the system tray and I can access the GUI and run a scan etc...

I am also getting an error when I start my Thunderbird Email client. It say anti spam module cannot initialise.

So, I am now stuck, I can't uninstall the current version which is not working correctly and I cannot install the newer version as it gives the error I detailed above.

Anyone able to help please?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. JackSun

Thanks for prompt reply.

I have now manged to uninstall Smart Security with the uninstaller you suggested.

But I can't reinstall any version of it now I get an error saying it can't create a folder in C:\programData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu.

The installer then just exits.

I also tried the suggestion in the link you sent about uninstalling the ehdrv.sys but I dont have that file or the option in Device manager that is mentioned.

I will have to run a free AV program until I can get this sorted out.

Any more Ideas?

4. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello JackSun
    This might be a wild-goose chase I am on, but do you have any other security software installed on your system. Why I ask is that, it could seem that you have escan installed.
    You wrote: C:\ProgramData\Eset\Eset SmartSecurity\logs\escan\GetLastError 5. (if I remember corretly GetLastErro 5 means a program error. Which means again... a corrupted program, or driver loaded in the background.)
    If i am right in this please uninstall escan, and afterwards install Eset.
    Best Regards

Woodgiant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  5. JackSun

Thanks for replies guys. I have now solved the issue.

Woodgiant - No I didn't have any other security software so I'm not sure why it was giving that error.

I solved it by using Windows system restore, had to go back 5 days to get one that worked.
    I can only assume it was a Windows update that caused the error as all the retore points I've had in the past few weeks have been the ones created automatically before it does an update. I haven't installed anything new since Dec 2010.

I have now done a clean install of 4.2.67 and it seems to be working fine.

6. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello JackSun

That is nice to hear , have a good week-end, and thanks for posting back.
    Best Regards
    Woodgiant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.