Error: G-MAL 04 on Bootup to Active Sys?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-Rescue Forum' started by pinso, Jan 27, 2015.

1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello folks, i am using FD-ISR Rescue Lite 4.0.2, it so happened my net stopped working and to check it out i booted to Rescue Area, upon opening Firefox, the net seems to work.
    So i don't know what to think of, most probably i had installed a lot of junk in the Active System, so copied necessary files to another drive. Also installed some more junk to test it. lol
    Booted to Rescue Area, however on pressing the F1 key, which prompts the user to boot to another Rescue Area, an error pops up saying:
    ERROR:GMAL-04
    FirstDefense-Rescue ERROR - Press any key to boot Windows.

I tried uninstalling FD-Rescue and re-installing,but the problem still persists, so now i am in a dilemma, whether to Copy/Update the Active Snapshot with the Rescue Area Snapshot, i am thinking doing that won't solve the problem, since the problem is during the system boot. Maybe the mbr got corrupted, i don't know, can someone enlighten me, i could use some expert help.
    For now, maybe i'll use the Winxp disc and go to Recovery and rewrite the mbr from the Recovery session mode.
    Will that work, i'll try and see, but i could use some advice.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Hello, thank you for redirecting to another thread, i went through all the post and there doesn't seemed to be a fix for it.
    But i definitely think it has something to do with corrupt mbr. Which in my case would be so, since i downloaded a lot
    of software which may have corrupted the mbr.
    Having said that, i did , what i feared i would do and i.e., format the drive and restore an image.
    Installed FD Rescue again and another Rescue Area.
    This time around i made a backup of mbr with a tool called MBRWizard 3.0. I have uploaded just in case some other
    user can use it,whenever such problem arises. Just make a backup and restore it. I have uploaded the tool in txt extension, rename it to zip, since
    the default attachment was not supported for uploading.
    FD-ISR is great, but its not full proof, this will surely do.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Pinso, that error can also occur:
    - if the partition cluster size is modified.
    - if you have installed a defragger that uses some type of buffering (e.g. diskeeper)
    - if the disk is changed from basic to dynamic

Panagiotis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.