Error E00070004

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hugginsg, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugginsg

hugginsg Registered Member

I have been using Acronis True Image for several years and have never had any problems. I recently put together a backup computer with the following:

Tyan S5112 Server board
    Pentium 4 2.4 gig processor
    2 gigabytes of ram
    3Ware 9500s 4 port SATA controller with 128 meg cache
    4 SATA 250 gig Seagate HD
    Motherboard has gigabyte lan

Internal LAN
    Cisco PIX 501 firewall
    Dell Gigabyte switch
    Cable Modem

I am using Acronis True Image 8.0 build 937

I have never in the past had any problems generating an image over my internal LAN to the backup machine. Since I have added the above motherboard setup with the 3Ware RAID controller I can never complete an image creation. I had the same exact problem using a non server motherboard before I installed this server board a couple of days ago. I always split my backup images into 4.7 gigabyte image files. The backup machine has over 400 gigabytes of space and is running in a RAID 5 array. Whether writing the 4.7 image file or a 700 meg image file when the image is around 2% I get the error:

E00070004: Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason might be poor media quality.

I can copy hundres of gigabytes of data from one workgroup computer to this backup machine with no problem or errors.

I have another cheap RAID system using the reByte module with 2 drives in a RAID 1 array and I have no problems generating the image files at all. I have tried to do image creation on another machine with 8.0 and get the same results.

Any thoughts on what may be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

It seems to be that your current build of Acronis True Image does not support some of hardware components of your system. We suggest you to evaluate Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Trial and try whether it will be able to work properly with your system. It is also required to re-create your Acronis Bootable Media.

You can download Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Trial here: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

3. hugginsg

I actually upgraded to the latest version 9 from your web site before I received your message and had the same results. I thought that maybe the RAID 5 had something to do with it and converted over the RAID array to 2 RAID 1 arrays.

I then tried to create a backup and I was greated with the same results. I can copy hundreds of gigabytes from machine to machine within the workgroup with no problem but Acronis burps every time.

I also tried reducing the image build to 700 meg and still get the same results.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

4. hugginsg

I did a trial last night and only selected a couple of folders on my hard drive which came to about 45 meg on the compressed image. Acronis did create this image successfully to the backup computer with the 3Ware RAID card on it.

However, Acronis burps with the 650 or 700 meg image file size.

Any additional thoughts on why Acronis may be generating the error message?

Thanks,

Greg

5. hugginsg

Here is a copy of my error log from the failed image creation using the 3ware RAID card. I can copy hundreds of gigabytes from this computer running the image backup or others on the LAN using the file copy method but cannot create a successful image. 3Ware said that they downloaded the Acronis trial version and were successful. Any help would be appreciated as I am mystified on why the image creation is not working.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="3677" product="Acronis*True*Image*Home" uuid="TOOK OUT REG NUMBER" version="9.0">
    <event code="2" id="1" message="The &quot;Current backup operation&quot; operation started" module="100" time="1153532748" type="2" />
    <event code="503" id="2" message="Analyzing partition 0-0..." module="1" time="1153532749" type="2" />
    <event code="503" id="3" message="Analyzing partition C:..." module="1" time="1153532749" type="2" />
    <event code="11" id="4" message="Priority changed to Low priority" module="100" time="1153532749" type="3" />
    <event code="503" id="5" message="Analyzing partition C:..." module="1" time="1153532749" type="2" />
    <event code="1008" id="6" message="&lt;bold>Create Full Backup Archive&lt;/bold>&lt;endl/>&lt;tabpoint value=30>&lt;indent value=4>From: &lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>Disk 1&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>To file: &lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>&quot;X:\GhostImages\Greg\MyBackup.tib&quot;&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>Compression: &lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>Normal&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>&lt;/indent>" module="1" time="1153532750" type="2" />
    <event code="504" id="7" message="Pending operation 126 started: &quot;Saving partition structure&quot;" module="1" time="1153532750" type="2" />
    <event code="504" id="8" message="Pending operation 129 started: &quot;Creating partition image&quot;" module="1" time="1153532750" type="2" />
    <event code="506" id="9" message="Locking partition C:..." module="1" time="1153532750" type="2" />
    <event code="4" id="10" message="Failed to write data to the archive file.
    A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None" module="7" time="1153533520" type="4" />
    <event code="4" id="11" message="Failed to write data to the archive file.
    A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None: User replied: oK" module="7" time="1153533526" type="2" />
    <event code="502" id="12" message="Operation with partition &quot;C:&quot; was terminated.
    Details:
    &lt;indent>Write error (0x70004)
    Tag = 0x0
    Error writing the file. (0x40003)
    function = &quot;WriteFileNoCache&quot;
    Tag = 0x7CEB2CDC9FB1212B
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0xFFF0)
    code = FFFFFFFF80070079
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB816&lt;/indent>" module="1" time="1153533526" type="4" />
    <event code="5" id="13" message="Operation has completed with errors." module="100" time="1153533526" type="4" />
    </log>

6. 2osdeen

2osdeen Registered Member

Hugginsg,
    I have exactly the same problem (please see my post under my login name, 2sodeen; you can also search for it by using the search phrase "semaphore timeout"). In any case, what you describe is exactly the problem that I've been experiencing. Acronis posted a special build for me and it works. Try asking Acronis Support to give you access to that special build (the link that they gave me on 18 July was available only for 2 weeks).

Please note that if you download the special build and try it, you should completely uninstall your version of True Image, first, and then install the special build (the special build did not install over my existing version, True Image 9.0, build 3677; instead build 3677 remained on my system, when I tried to install over it). The complete uninstall and then install will require you to have your serial numbers.

Good luck.
    2sodeen

7. Acronis Support

Hello hugginsg,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please send the link to this thread to support@acronis.com. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

8. bellcpa

bellcpa Registered Member

We have the same problem described here on 3 of our servers, each of which is running TrueImage 9.1 build 3567 and does image backup to LAN NAS with image being between 3-7gb. This started to happen to us recently after successfully backing up for a couple of months. The backup starts, but then between 10-20% we get an error:

E00070004: Failed to write data to the archive file

A possible reason might be poor media quality.

I would also like to have access to a build that fixes this issue.

Also, is it possible to preserve TrueImage config settings (eg. schedules, selections) if full uninstall/reinstall is required?

Thank you,

-Ed

9. Acronis Support

Hello bellcpa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also try to create the backup with maximum compression level and see whenever problem remains (Tools -> Options...-> Default Backup Options -> Compresion level)? The maximum compression allows you to lower network usage and hence may help to avoid this issue.

Please create Acronis True Image Bootable CD using the latest build and try to backup under rescue mode. Let us know about the result.

If the issue persists with the latest build, please collect the full the log file with the error:

- Start Acronis True Image;

- Select Tools -> Show log;

- Choose the log entry which contains errors;

- Click on the diskette icon, choose the location (folder) and save there;

Also create Windows System Information on the server that fails to create the image archive as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine it should answer your question.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. hugginsg

I hate to complain but I still have not received any support from Acronis on solving my problem. I sent an email message to support as directed above with the link to this thread but I have not heard anything back from Acronis. I am trying to get this problem solved so that I can start to backup to my 3Ware RAID backup computer without having to go to another backup machine and then copying all of the files over.

Thanks,

11. 2pods

2pods Registered Member

I'm getting this error too.

I'm trying to back up a laptop to my desktop via my 54g wireless network, so the safe version isn't going to work for me.
    :'(

Could I access this "special" build too ?

Peter

12. Acronis Support

Hello hugginsg,

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. Acronis Support

Hello 2pods,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions supports wireless network. Please take a look at this previous post by Alexey for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. 2pods

2pods Registered Member

It wasn't stated anywhere on my product box that ATI9 did not support wireless networks, which is why I bought it.
    :mad:

So where does this leave me ?

I've just thought.

In my case (and I'm sure there must be others) I could get away with just using the wifi during back up from windows (if I could get rid of the original error: E00070004: Failed to write data to the archive file :A possible reason might be poor media quality.)

As I (and no doubt many other users) would restore from dvd.

Peter

Peter

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I know you want it to do what you originally intended but you could create the archive on a local disk and then copy it over your wifi network. You can even create the archive on the partition being imaged, ignore the error msgs, but you can't restore from that location.

If you intend to create backups and do restores after testing software etc, ie, restoring other than after a HD failure, you will be much happier having a local copy of your image than trying to restore from DVD.

16. 2pods

2pods Registered Member

I wonder if

is anything to do with wifi at all ?

Surely from windows ATI9 just sees a network, wired or not ?

Peter

17. 2pods

2pods Registered Member

Log sent.

Here's hoping :)

Peter

18. 2osdeen

2Pods,
    I doubt very much that your inability to create a backup is caused by the fact that you are using a wireless network within your backup scheme. As long as you can see the (shared) designation folder, where the backup is to be stored and can manually copy files to and from that folder (using Windows Explorer drag and drop, for example), you then should be able to use True Image to place a backup in that folder (even though you are going through a wireless network).

Having a wireless network, however, does limit your ability to do restores. The True Image rescue CD/DVD cannot see the backup folder through a wireless system.

The above is my understanding of Acronis's statement that True Image "does not support" wireless. That is, you can back up, using wireless, but you cannot restore.

Also, my experience with Acronis Support is that they responded to my problem, but a delay of 3 to 5 days each time. Support would request me to do something; I would and I sent in the response. Support would then get back to me in 3 to 5 days. That's just how it is, I guess.

The other thing that happened is that Support would suggest several different things, all of which ultimately had no bearing on my problem (try backing up to a hard drive on the server computer, instead of the networked USB drive; try using another USB drive; etc.). I had to try each one and respond back, even though I was skeptical that it would work (based on my knowledge of the True Image problem on my system). Finally, I described the exact problem again, perhaps more throughly, with the suggestion that the fault was in True Image. I suggested that the problem appeared as though True Image was waiting for a flag or something from Windows. Based on that last communication, Support posted a special build for me and asked me to try it. The special build worked and here I am.

So, to be fair, I believe that Support must take each person, that has this back up problem, through a set of tests and suggested "try this". If any one fixes the problem, good. If not, I presume that Support will eventually give that person access to a special build.

I also presume that, based on my success with the special build, Support knows what the problem is, at least on my system. I hope that Acronis will use that information and incorporate the fix into the next build release of True Image.
    2osdeen

19. 2pods

2pods Registered Member

I was going to burn the backup to dvd on the desktop and restore the laptop from that.

I've submitted the log, so it's wait and see :)

Peter

20. Nailzaz

Nailzaz Registered Member

I'm getting the same error now on my wife's laptop.

I just sent in my support ticket.

<BEING RANT>
    To be honest, I'm getting tired of problems with backing up. I don't know if it is Acronis or my ignorance. At first I was backing everything up to one external drive on my system, my wife's system was connected wirelessly (both have XP Pro SP2). But I ran into problems, so much so that I bought her own copy of True Image and her own backup drive. That worked fine until this morning with the "poor media" error. I have too much to do than work on these networks and backups all the time. I paid for their "call" support and talked with a person with a strong accent and who did not seem to understand me or my problems.
    <END RANT>

Okay - deep breath...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  21. Craig McGraw

Craig McGraw Registered Member

I've been reading this thread, having the same problem, and I'd like to offer some input on this issue. The company I work for is running a small web server for registered clients, which was set up by an Acronis dealer early this year on our hardware. Last Friday we discovered in the logs that we were no longer having a daily download, and the above quoted error message was found. Our first step, per the Acronis website, was to update the build. We're now running version 8, build 1018.

No joy.

We didn't quit trying, however. Initially, the method of saving to our Network Storage Device (NSD) was as a single file, with "normal" compression. Acronis indicated our 7+ GB 'raw' file should have been a 4+ GB compressed file. Each time we attempted the imaging, we got that "event #4" message.

We next tried "breaking" the file down into one or two fixed-length DVD-size files, again with "Normal" compression. Same error message...

Still, we tried again, this time as a series of 650 MB CD-sized chunks. I made one change other than this, and that was to eliminate the compression. This attempt was with 'raw' data, and this time the imaging attempt was successful. We now have a complete dump to the NSD.

The biggest difference in these attempts was the use of compression to reduce the file size. The compression scheme is apparently interfering with the NSD's ability to handle the data packets, and the Acronis software is interpreting this as "poor media quality". Anyone seeing this error might want to check their settings and remove any compression from the file(s).

Craig McGraw
    Crigler Brothers Real Estate & HHP Mortgage
    Mobile, Alabama

22. hugginsg

I set my backup parameters to break the image files into 100 meg images and set the compression for "none" and the prority to "high priority' and received the same message and error. I have sent Acronis all of the information that they requeste and hope that they can solve the problem. I have several machines and am getting the same results on all of them regardless of the version of the software being used.

I am going to try one more thing and that is to put the 3Ware SATA card into a Linux based machine and see if that makes any difference and am also going to try a IDE dual 3Ware card in a MS and Linux machine and see if that makes a difference.

The 3Ware card will copy hundreds of gigabytes with just a normal file copy with no problems and I also stream music to the 3Ware RAID all day long with no problems.

Thanks for the tip and I hope that Acronis will come up with a solution.

23. idamien

idamien Registered Member

I´m sorry to disagree since some of you might have suggested what the solution could be... In my opinion the problem is with ATI itself.

I have tried what you guys suggested and many, many, many other combinations of settings, backup devices/destinations and protocols (including the Acronis Backup Server "bps://" or something...) and almost all the time I get one of two errors:

1) The "Poor Media Quality" error, which happens mostly when I try to backup from the bootable media via FTP protocol... and don´t get me wrong: even this method worked twice or thrice (with MAXIMUM compression) with different amounts of data although with the same pair of computers. I couldn´t find a reason for ATI´s apparently random functionality...

OR

2) The second Logon screen/request which seems to me just impossible to get thru, which happens mainly when trying to back up to a network share or to a designated Acronis Backup Server Location. It´s been no use so far: I open up access to a share as much as Windows allows, making it public even on the Internet but on goes ATI asking TWICE for a logon, the second of which is never satisfied...

I have read much of the forum and a LOT of suggestions of many people about some solutions or workarounds they (claim to) have found and I have tried every single one of them but it was worthless, for me at least...

So, I don´t want to get your hope down, but it seems to me that a lot of ATI´s problems, mainly problems concerning backup to remote/external devices, will only be solved by some fix or other in a major release which, I hope, will come soon...

All I know is that I´ve tested a few of the other backup/restore utilities around and I really think that Acronis has, by far, the most potential to be the best of them, IF ONLY they would fix these problems that apparently many of us users are having.

24. hugginsg

I have sent all of the required information to Acronis, screen shots of problem, log dump, system info etc, etc. of everything that they asked for. I have not received any reply back from them on the solution to the problem other than the use the UNC path for the image download location which did not work. Others have mentioned the special builds so why has Acronis support not offered me the special build which solved the others problems?

Just to test I set up a Linux box with a couple of different installations of Linux (Xandros Home Premium 4.0 and Xandros Business Edition 3.0 not at the same time) with one 20 gig IDE boot drive and 2 200 gig IDE hard drives connected to the 3Ware RAID controller. Worked like a charm and created the backups with no problems in small image files or one large one. I am beginning to think that the problem is with the Acronis software as idamien suggested above.

I have used Acronis for a long time and have many copies registered for use on all of my home computers etc. However, it does appear to have a serious problem all of a sudden and I am at a loss as to what the problem is. For me at least it only is causing a problem with backup to the Microsoft Windows XP and XP home machines.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  25. 2osdeen

Idamien
    I agree. As I said my my last reply, I believe that the problem is in True Image. I suggested as much to Acronis Support. I suggested that True Image appears to be waiting for a semaphore, or a flag, or something, from Windows before it proceeds with the remainder of the backup. That's the way it appears to me, when True Image suddenly stops at the 2% complete spot, waits a few minutes, and then sends an error message and quits.

I made that suggestion to Acronis Support, but only after they took me through several weeks of "try this" or "try that" or "give us this information about your system". After I made that suggestion and requested that they consider it, Support gave me access to a special build. The special build worked (solved the problem). At least it worked for me!

I'm puzzled as to why Acronis has yet to incorporate a fix into a new build of True Image. I assume that, based on my success with the special build, Acronis has a good idea of what's wrongo_O?
    2osdeen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.