Error: E000101F4 - Failed to read data from the disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mhallerman, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

"Failed to read from the sector 6,291,527 of the hard disk 2"

Whenever I restore, I always get this error at the end of the restore process, restoring the C partition.

I get options to Retry, Ignore, Ignore All and Cancel. I always choose Retry and after the 2nd retry it finishes with a "Restore Complete" message.

Everything seems fine after that when using the system.

Running Vista Ultimate 32bit and Acronis TI Home 11 v8027. Upgraded to v8053 and still the same. I have already deleted and recreated the secure zone, run chkdsk on the C partition and found no errors.

Any ideas as to what to try next to try to fix this?

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mhallerman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Could you please clarify what partitions are located on hard drive 2? Is it target or source hard drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

3. mhallerman

Thanks Michael,

Stupid question, but how can I tell what Acronis considers "Hard Disk 2"? I have one hard drive partitioned into Drive C: and the Secure Zone.....I had an external drive but that is not in play in the restore as the restore is from the SZ to the C: partition.

Thanks,
    Mark.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

give your drives/partitons recognizable unique names and don't rely on drive letters. When you highlight a drive in an ATI window, it should show the name.

5. mhallerman

Yes, actually I do have them named, so in TI, Disk 2 is my external Seagate FreeAgent drive, which of course does not contain either the Secure Zone, nor the partition I am restoring to, so why would it keep referencing this disk, and what to do about it?

Thanks,
    Mark.

6. mhallerman

For the heck of it, did a chkdsk /r on what TI considers Hard Disk 2 (the external Seagate drive) and no issues....

Mark.

7. Acronis Support

Hello mhallerman,

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. mhallerman

Marat,

I got this this morning, and will try it tonight or in the am and post the results - or would you rather me just do the email back and forth with Oleg?:

~Private email removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  9. Acronis Support

Hello mhallerman,

We recommend you to continue communications via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. mhallerman

Will do - sent the file a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks,
    Mark.

11. mhallerman

Well, after a few days of trying to get relevent support for this issue from Acronis, I'm back here - so if anyone has any ideas to contribute, they would be welcome.

The support exchange I have had the last few days with Acronis posted below for bringing anyone interested up to speed. Posting trimmed a bit to get rid of sigs, etc.

I really find the Acronis support to be quite lacking, sadly. Am I alone in this thought?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:17 AM
    To: 'support@acronis.com'
    Subject: RE: [Acronis #] Do I need to uninstall before upgrading

Guys,

Hello? Can we please move forward with trying to fix this issue with TI? It cannot be relied on currently in my situation.

Please advise. Thanks.

Mark.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:01 AM
    To: 'support@acronis.com'
    Subject: RE: [Acronis #] Do I need to uninstall before upgrading
    Importance: High

Oleg,

You are not understanding the problem - the external drive HAS NOTHING TO DO with the issue - the backup is on the Secure Zone on the internal drive and I am restoring it to the C partition on the internal drive - I don’t know how else to explain it more clearly.

Please advise. I am a long standing customer and am about to give up and switch products as the support I am finding is terrible.

Regards,
    Mark.

From: Acronis Customer Service Department [mailto:support@acronis.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:40 AM
    To: mhallerman
    Subject: [Acronis #] Do I need to uninstall before upgrading

Hello Mark,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We'd like to inform you that such situations can occur if the external drive doesn't it's own power supply and due to the lack of power reduces data transferring speed. The lack of power can also result into very short transfer interrupts which are critical for Acronis True Image, as it uses stream data transfer and can't handle these interrupts, therefore it reports the archive to be corrupted.

You can overcome this by doing the following:

1. Replace the drive cable with more thick one so more power will be utilized by the drive.

2. Disable USB legacy support in BIOS before recovering the data.

3. Use FireWire interface for the external drive if your computer supports it. FireWire is proved to be more reliable than USB.

4. You can also copy the backup file to your internal hard drive (if it is possible).

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Note that you can always find the answers to your questions in Acronis Knowledge
    Base at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/

--
    Best regards,
    Oleg Lee

Acronis, Inc.
    23 3rd Avenue
    Burlington, MA 01803 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Customer Service Department
    http://www.acronis.com/my/support

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oleg,

I deleted and recreated the secure zone, and also installed the new snapapi drivers. Still got the error at the end of the restore re the bad sector(s) on disk 2. Disk 2 is my external Seagate as far as I see and is not involved in the sz restore, and even so, I ran a chckdsk /r on it - no errors.

Not sure what to do next.

12. Strangeman

Strangeman Registered Member

Have you tried running without the external drive connected ? Did that make any difference ?

13. mhallerman

Thanks Strangeman - I have not, but I will try that today. Did not think to do that....

Thanks,
    Mark.

14. Strangeman

That's a relief ! I was almost afraid to ask. I hope someone follows one of these threads through to success, because I have come across this on another PC which I look after. My problem is easier in a way because I think the drive actually does have a problem - loads of errors in the event manager, and chckdsk -r keeps stalling, so I've got a few steps removed from trying to work out the TI problem.

15. mhallerman

LOL - no problem - I will be able to test this by end of night tonight, and will certainly post the results - been a busy day so haven't have the chance yet....Will do so tonight in any event...

Best,
    M.

16. mhallerman

Well Strangeman, you nailed it I think.

After doing my usual backup, I stopped and removed the external Seagate drive, and did a restore from the Secure Zone to the C: partition. Restored with no errors.

So the question I guess is why Acronis TI is accessing and reading and seemingly mistaking good sectors for bad ones on an external drive during a restore that has absolutely nothing to do with the restore (restore from SZ on internal disk to C: partition on internal disk)?

Also, I say "mistaking good sectors for bad ones" only because I have run chkdsk /r on the external drive with no errors resulting.

I would love Acronis to weigh in on this too if following this thread - I have an open case on this with them.

Regards,
    Mark.

17. Strangeman

The seagate drive seems to be about the only thing our two systems have in common, so I can't really suggest anything else.

18. neo19

neo19 Registered Member

I actually get this error during the backup, so since I didn't hear anything from Acronis support group, I decide to ignore the error and continue. I wasted over 5 hours to backup 20 GB of data coz i wasn't able to do restore.
    It tells me that the archive is corrupted, operation failed.
    Please help me!!!

thx

Neo

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

To the original OP - TI will analyse any drive and partition it can find when it starts. It would seem to be a programming oversight, that it fails to execute a task if it is not required to write or read from a drive it considers to have a problem.

Of course as to why it thinks the Seagate drive is a problem is another kettle of fish.

To neo19, would you post more information - What version of TI, which build, what OS you are using, is this from within Windows or from the rescue CD - are you imaging to another internal/external harddrive, to the same drive but different partition, to the SZ, to a backup archive if using v11 or a corporate product.

If the drive is external, is it a USB, firewire etc? Has imaging ever worked correctly with your current installation of TI?

Colin

20. mhallerman

Bodgy,

True, I dont think it should be accessing that drive in this circumstance, but also not sure what could be "wrong" with these Seagate drives when chkdsk /r sees nothing, and Acronis TI is the only application (I and a few other use) that seems to have a problem with them...

Not saying it's TI definitively, but with so many other TI problems over the years, I sometimes thing guilty until proven innocent with it.

Thanks,
    M.

21. anthonymcse

anthonymcse Registered Member

I'm running into a similar problem using RD1000 drives, both internal and external on a couple of server. These are Dell modular hard drive cartridges.

I've seen these Read errors regarding my RD1000 drives just by starting up True Image...no operation, just starting it up! It looks like TI is scanning my drives right when it starts up!

On top of that, the error seems bogus, because running scandisk or a chkdsk /r indicates that the drive is fine!!

Now, I am using these drives to store images on, but I never get a write error, just these mysterious read errors.

I'd love to see a resolution, or I may need to drop this product.

Anthony

22. Acronis Support

Hello anthonymcse,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the last build doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

23. anthonymcse

anthonymcse Registered Member

An update: I've been working with tech support in regards to Acronis True Image compatibiliy issues with the RD1000. Apparently, Acronis True Image can have problems with any removable drive that does not have an MBR. The Dell RD1000 doesn't have an MBR, just a single VBR (use dskprobe.exe and look at sector 0). Acronis gets confused, treating the VBR like an MBR, and goes off looking for partitions and sectors that don't exist.

I'm told they are working on a fix but no timeline.

Anthony

24. mhallerman

I got so fed-up with the bugs with TI, that I have happily switched to StorageCraft's Shadow Protect Desktop. Works fast and no bugs for me as of yet, restores are 30 min from external drive as opposed to 7+ hours, and no problems with the "failed to read data bug".

More expensive sure, but worth the money IMO. YMMV.

Best,
    Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.